World Bank Group
Job #: req24034
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Istanbul,Turkiye; Almaty, Kazakhstan
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Turkish, Russian
Closing Date: 9/18/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
The Manufacturing, Agribusiness & Services (MAS) Industry Group plays an important role in supporting IFC’s strategic priorities, covering investments in the manufacturing, agribusiness and services sectors (‘services’ include health and education plus tourism, retail and property). MAS’ sectors play a critical role in providing goods and services to consumers; their development helps address core needs and create jobs thereby contributing to government revenue and stimulating growth. These sectors can account for as much as 80% of overall economic activity in a country.
The MAS team covering the countries of the Middle East, Central Asia, Turkey, Pakistan and Afghanistan (MCT) seeks Associate/Investment Officer(s) to work in IFC’s Almaty, Kazakhstan and/or its Istanbul offices. The position will call for sourcing and executing MAS MCT’s new investment transactions and for supervising MAS MCT portfolio accounts.
Specific responsibilities will include assisting with the evaluation, structuring, negotiating and closing new transactions. The successful candidate will also assist in portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Among other responsibilities, the chosen candidate will:
- Assist in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions, and in portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transactions
- Guide financial analysts in financial modeling
- Mentor analysts and other junior staff
- Oversee mapping exercises with the assistance of investment analysts
- Prepare investment process documentation for internal review and decision
- Participate in (or lead as appropriate) negotiations
- Use financial competences and personal influencing skills to overcome impasses in negotiations or other interactions to reach a successful outcome
- Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Prepare- with the help of analysts- presentations and other documentation as contributions to IFC’s internal reporting and external communication, marketing and outreach
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients (new and existing), global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact
- Identify and evaluate opportunities that are not only financially sustainable but will also help increase the social development impact of new or portfolio IFC projects.
- MBA or equivalent qualification.
- Over 5 years of experience in finance with a proven track-record in areas of sourcing, structuring and closing investments and/or supervising loan and equity exposures including working on restructurings, modifications and negotiated exits
- Proven financial modeling ability
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (including debt and equity)
- Demonstrated knowledge of industries, industry trends and opportunities in the sub-region countries, and understanding of local issues. Candidates with relevant sector and/or regional expertise will be preferred.
- Proven business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on client’s needs effectively
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as government officials
- Excellent written, verbal communication, presentation abilities, and interpersonal skills plus fluency in English is required. Russian and/or Turkish language is preferred
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to mentor
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development and to highest ethical standards
- Willingness to travel extensively.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.