World Bank Group
(Associate) Investment Officer
Job #: req22283
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Sao Paulo,Brazil
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Spanish, Portuguese
Closing Date: 5/5/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Associate Investment Officers (AIOs) support multidisciplinary teams and professionals who have expertise in the regions and sectors in which IFC does business. Project teams consist of investment staff, lawyers, environmental and social specialists, and economists, as well as technical specialists. AIOs work directly with their clients, co-investors and international and local sponsors. IFC’s Infrastructure Department for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) is recruiting an Associate Investment Officer to actively manage portfolio investments and work in teams to help identify business opportunities and support the structuring and execution of financing transactions in core infrastructure sectors (telecom, transport, energy, water, waste and municipal infrastructure). The new hire should be available to engage in origination, processing and portfolio management infrastructure projects throughout the LAC region and support the supervision efforts of IFC’s overall infrastructure portfolio in LAC, particularly in the Southern Cone and Brazil. The overall goal of the job holder is to maximize the profitable impact of IFC’s interventions.
The appointee will be stationed in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively manage and support portfolio investments, potentially including origination of new business opportunities with portfolio clients, restructurings, reschedulings, processing waivers, disbursements, etc.
- Elaborate and review credit ratings, loan reserves, equity valuations and risk assessments.
- Lead/coordinate mapping and screening business opportunities in infrastructure sectors; undertaking market research and performing corresponding integrity checks.
- Produce country and sector analysis, marketing materials, pitch books, pricing benchmarks and research.
- Support the development of a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities with existing clients, by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge; draft and present concept review notes for discussion with management of relevant business opportunities.
- Support transaction teams during investment due diligence. Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions from the mandate stage.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, legal and technical specialists in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, achieve sustainable development impact and ensure existing investments are adhering to IFC’s policies and standards.
- Support negotiation/documentation stages of transactions; use strong negotiation skills to develop solutions and overcome impasses in straightforward and complex transactions.
- Support teams managing relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
- MBA or equivalent qualification.
- Strong technical financial and investment skills with at least 5 years of experience in finance (financial institution, investment banking, private equity fund, consulting); as well as relevant experience structuring infrastructure investments. Relevant working experience in transport, electricity, water, waste or municipal projects is strongly desirable.
- Track record in infrastructure projects in LAC (strongly desirable), including limited recourse project finance transactions; corporate finance and/or equity transactions.
- Genuine interest and knowledge of relevant infrastructure and regional sector trends.
- “Can-do” attitude and demonstrated ability to think outside the box and push the envelope.
- Ability to interact directly and independently with potential clients, financial and technical partners as well as government officials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Portuguese; fluency in other languages (Spanish and French) is a plus.
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.