World Bank Group
Communications Manager, Global Industry and Cross-Cutting Themes
Job #: req23877
Term Duration: 4 years
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 8/30/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record $43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to help create a world free of poverty on a livable planet. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Context of the position
Are you passionate about having an impact on people’s lives and contributing to solving some of the world’s greatest development challenges? Do you believe that the private sector plays a vital role in generating growth and jobs to drive down poverty and improve the quality of life for people? Are you eager to tell stories about how companies and start-ups across the world are driving innovation to provide opportunities for the most vulnerable people and strengthen developing economies? Then consider this opportunity.
We are looking for a Communications Manager for Global Industry and Cross-Cutting Themes, with an understanding of how private sector-led projects can serve as game-changers for development. As one of the three core units in the Communications and Outreach Department, the Global Industry and Cross-Cutting Themes Communications Unit provides primary support to showcase IFC’s impact in key areas of investment and works closely with other units to advance business development. Working with various stakeholders –companies and businesses, development partners, civil society and others, the unit focuses promoting projects that show IFC’s leadership and innovation as the premier partner for the private sector in emerging and developing economies.
The unit delivers global thematic/sectoral communications and outreach by developing strategic communications outreach plans; producing, publishing, and promoting industry insights and thematic reports; and organizing and marketing events on various topics including private capital mobilization; climate change; micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMES); sustainable agribusiness and food security; advancement of gender and inclusion; advancing trade etc.
Role and Responsibilities
The Communications Manager, Global Industry and Cross-Cutting Themes, will be based in Washington, DC., and will report to the Director, Communications and Outreach.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Leading, motivating, and managing a team of seasoned communications professionals to ensure effective delivery of a robust work program.
- Providing strategic advice to the team and to internal clients on communications matters; leading efforts to engage industry departments and sector managers to identify opportunities for proactive, high-impact communications (reports, industry insights, multi-media packages, stories, notes, case studies, blogs, etc.) that capture IFC’s thought leadership to identify investment trends, set the industry agenda, and serve as the foundation for outreach and engagement.
- Working collaboratively and maintaining dialogue with IFC’s operational teams (Vice-presidents/Directors/Managers) to support business development and thought-leadership efforts – especially: Treasury Vice Presidency, Global Industries Vice Presidency, Cross-cutting Solutions Vice Presidency; Economics and Private Sector Development Vice Presidency.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of proactive communications and outreach strategies for industry/thematic departments, showcasing business strategies, effective results and impact, successful and replicable business models.
- Ensuring consistency and harmonization across industry and thematic communications, identifying opportunities for cross-industry narratives and approaches, where appropriate.
- Overseeing the development of issue briefs, stakeholder engagement plans, talking points and Q&As, reactive messaging/holding statements, etc. for both internal and external use.
- Overseeing the development of new / or the updating of common tools developed by the Global Industry and Cross-cutting Themes Communications Unit to support daily work (facts sheets, repository of narratives, reactive statements, etc.)
- Contributing to strategic reporting and assessment of communications impact, which is led by the Corporate Support Vice Presidency.
In close coordination with the other communications units across the organization:
- Ensure consistency and close coordination on strategic initiatives and corporate events such as Annual and Spring Meetings, as well as reputational risk and issue management.
- Coordinating, when appropriate, on communications matters with IFC Vice Presidents’ and the Managing Director’s front offices.
- Coordinating with Risk and Issue management unit to ensure effective stakeholder engagement and timely response to questions and concerns.
- Coordinating with IFC’s Corporate Communications unit on messaging, branding, and positioning.
- Coordinating with the Regional Communications unit on outreach related to country and regional level investments and sector trends.
- Contributing to the successful implementation of IFC’s overall Communications and Outreach strategy.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Business/Finance with 12 years of experience in corporate communications, international relations, public affairs, political science, or other related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Decisiveness and willingness to take responsibility and hold others accountable for results.
- Professional credibility, proven leadership and managerial skills and ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries in a dynamic and multicultural environment to foster innovation and drive solutions.
- Understanding of IFC’s business model and private sector development issues and clear vision of how effective communications can support operational delivery.
- Big picture thinker with strong problem-solving skills, while maintaining a sharp eye for details.
- Strong team and project management skills; ability to create a common purpose to help team members deliver at their best. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team, with a constant willingness to support and assist others and to perform whatever tasks are necessary to help the team achieve its goals.
- Experience in communicating complex technical concepts in a clear, compelling, and concise manner and developing messages that are accessible to a wide range of audiences.
- Solid conceptual and analytical skills, with an ability to think strategically and rapidly synthesize information from varied sources into concise conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to deliver quality output while working under stress and juggling multiple tasks on tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills to operate with tact and discretion when appropriate and successfully manage relations with senior management.
- Ability to learn, adapt, and to be innovative as new communications challenges arise.
- Flawless integrity and unquestionable commitment to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission and values.
- Meet Bank Group-wide managerial selection criteria including Courage of your convictions, Leading the team for impact, Influencing across boundaries, Fostering openness to new ideas, Building talent for the future.
Criteria considered a plus
- Proficiency in another language (other than English).
- Experience in a senior communications role in a private sector company with a regional or global reach.
- Experience in sensitive communications and reputation management.
- Demonstrated experience presenting to, interacting, and building relationships with members of the media, civil society, executive leaders, and a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.