World Bank Group
Job #: req23587
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 7/28/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Are you passionate about having an impact on people’s lives and contributing to solving some of the world’s greatest development problems in some of the most challenging countries and regions? Do you believe that the private sector’s contribution is critical in addressing development challenges? Are you eager to tell stories about how companies and startups across the world can be a unique source of innovation to improve the lives of the most vulnerable and strengthen economies in developing countries and emerging markets? We are looking for an excellent writer, editor, and critical thinker who will be hardworking, proactive, and creative in their role as a communications officer. Join a global community of industry specialists and communications colleagues working to build global prosperity and boost resilience in low- and middle-income countries.
This role will focus on promoting IFC’s work in agriculture, manufacturing, health, education, tourism, retail, and property, with a focus on critical issues such as decarbonization of health industries and the circular economy, sustainable agriculture, and improving healthcare and strengthening tertiary education to build skills and boost employability. The position reports to the Senior Communications Officer for the relevant industry sectors, and operates within the broader Global Industry and Thematic Communications unit, which delivers global thematic/sectoral communications and outreach by developing strategic communications outreach plans; producing, publishing, and promoting industry insights and thematic reports; organizing and marketing global events; promoting IFC’s thought leadership; and coordinating across the World Bank Group communications network to showcase IFC’s impact. The team works closely with IFC’s Regional Communications unit on outreach related to country and regional level investments and sector trends, and with teams monitoring risks.
Roles and responsibilities:
Messaging, content development and editing:
- Take a deep dive into IFC’s Global Manufacturing, Agribusiness, and Forestry, and Health, Education and Services teams to secure strong narratives, understand challenges and opportunities, and master key data
- Adopt an issues-driven and story-driven approach to messaging development to ensure that IFC’s voice on these industries can resonate globally and stand out
- Develop impactful content with tone and format tailored to the needs and audiences
- On a continuous basis, review and edit content with the objective of providing compelling and impactful messages
Communications strategies development and execution:
- Proactively contribute to development and implementation of communications strategies for the targeted industries
- Plan, design, prepare, and execute campaigns promoting IFC’s work in the defined industries
- Accordingly, write and/or oversee the preparation, production, and dissemination of both routine and complex outreach products for print or digital purposes (e.g., backgrounders, media packets, news releases, op-eds, talking points for media or speaking opportunities, blogs, presentations, brochures, Q&As) that promote the strategic and timely flow of information and major issues about IFC and the industries
- Help manage events, including industry-specific conferences, and annual and spring World Bank Group meetings
- Initiate, build, and sustain effective professional relationships with key internal and external contacts (including media, partners, IFC clients, online media hubs, etc.) and explore when possible strategic partnerships to strengthen IFC’s reach on the relevant sectors
- Oversee planning, coordination, scheduling, and logistics, often across multiple teams, for seamless execution of campaigns and other communications-related activities, as well as smooth and timely distribution of related products, with the support of the corporate communications team.
- Develop or adapt content for internal engagement campaigns aimed at raising awareness on the specific industries.
Monitoring, risk identification and mitigation:
- Proactive monitoring of investment trends, social, economic, and political developments to inform media plans and strategic campaigns.
- Advise sector teams, and technical teams on news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact IFC and its work and help to determine appropriate strategic responses.
- Contribute to reputational risk mitigation strategies related to infrastructure and agribusiness sectors.
- Excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills in English and ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and engaging style for a variety of platforms including digital media. Fluency in other languages a plus.
- Experience in communicating complex technical concepts in a clear, compelling, and concise manner and developing messages that are accessible to a wide range of audiences
- Experience crafting to-the-point social media posts and power point slides.
- Excellent organizational and project-management skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks independently, adjusting to priorities and achieving results meeting agreed objectives and within sometimes very tight deadlines
- Proven ability to capture trends, case studies and innovations in communications products in a compelling, easy-to-understand manner
- Proven ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources and an ability to learn, adapt, and to be innovative as new communications challenges arise
- Self-motivated, creative, and ability to think out of the box and proactively propose new ideas and approaches
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strategic thinking, notably to help positioning portfolio within the broader CCOIC context
- Experience in communications for infrastructure, health, sustainable development, or agribusiness projects a plus
- Experience in sensitive communications and reputation management is a plus
- Master’s degree and minimum of five years of relevant professional experience, in a relevant field (journalism, communications, economics, development, or international relations)
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.