Position Title : Field Coordinator
Duty Station : Kassala, Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 July 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and
inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female
candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all
IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered
before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Barbados; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo
(the); Cook Islands; Dominica; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See;
Iceland; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar;
Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru;
Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Seychelles; Solomon Islands;
Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Uzbekistan; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Sudan and in close coordination
with relevant units in the Country Office (CO), the Field Coordinator will be based in Kassala
State and will be responsible for planning, organizing, managing, and coordinating the
implementation of activities in Eastern Sudan, covering the four states of Kassala, Gedaref, Red
Sea, and Blue Nile.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Establish partnerships, maintain and develop working relationships with government and local
authorities including the Humanitarian Aid Commission, non-governmental organizations, United
Nations agencies, and stakeholders in all states within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Ensure representation of IOM at relevant fora including meetings at state level vis-à-vis the
government and partners such as Area UN Country Team, Area Security Management Team,
- Supervise the staff in Kassala Sub-Office and ensure timely completion of outputs and
activities in close coordination with the Programme Managers.
- Identify and develop projects and activities of interest for IOM in coordination with Head of
Programmes, the relevant Programme Managers, Programme Support Unit and the Chief of
Mission and in cooperation with government partners and communities.
- Analyse migration trends and issues; assess the potential for programme development and
advice on migration related developments.
- Provide adequate and regular reporting to the Programme Support Unit covering the Kassala
Sub-Office operations, programme implementation and its activities in coordination with the
- Advise Programme Managers in the overall implementation of projects to ensure compliance
with relevant IOM and donor policies, procedures and requirements.
- Oversee and coordinate the administrative functions of relevant units in the Sub-Offices and
ensure compliance with IOM policies and procedures.
- Establish close coordination and consultation with Staff Security Unit, civil and military
governmental and local authorities to ensure security of IOM staff and property.
- Maintain appropriate controls to safeguard the Organizations’ assets and prevent fraud.
Strengthen internal controls through proper documentation and tracking of approval processes.
- Oversee the recruitment of national staff in the Sub-Office and provide training to staff in
accordance with area needs and programme requirements, in coordination with relevant
Programme Managers in Khartoum.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration or a related field from
an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in internally displaced persons (IDPs)/refugee protection or relevant human rights
and legal experience.
- Experience in the field of migration and refugee assistance, three years of which in the field of
- Work experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment.
- Technical knowledge on sub-office management.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic
is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process,
which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their
leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best
and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain
eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain
exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or
after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 27 July 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 14.07.2023 to 27.07.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview,
processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank
Requisition: VN 2023 291 Field Coordinator (P3) Kassala, Sudan (58248369) Released
Posting: Posting NC58248370 (58248370) Released
To apply for this job please visit recruit.iom.int.