Finance Assistant (Claims Processing)
Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC) Philippines
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Job classification: General Staff
Duty station: Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC)
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term-Ungraded
Closing date: 05 Jul 2023
Duration of Assignment: Nine-months w/ possibility of extension
Salary: Php 50,000 per month net of taxes (all-inclusive salary)
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the National Central Accounting Officer and overall supervision of Head MFRS, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable primarily in recording, monitoring, and preparing financial management report related to Revenue, Claims and Accounts Receivable, and Data Cleaning for Business Transformation as well as assist in the smooth transition to the new ERP.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
Recording of Revenue, Accounts Receivable and Other Transactions
Facilitate and analyze revenue accrual and accounts receivable (AR) setup for
- Submitted payment request and invoice to the donors.
- Projects with funding agreement due upon signature.
- Amounts due on PCA (Project Clearing Account) projects based on quarterly PDR (Project Delivery Report) upload Member States’ assessed contributions.
Facilitate and analyze received funds for
- Projects under US Government Payment Management System (PMS-drawdowns).
- Projects with no issued payment request or invoice
- Partial receipts of accrued revenue
- Monitor timely clearing of Down Payment from Customers and unallocated receipts.
- Follow-up Offices on the project code and/or coordinate with Project ID and PIU (Project Information Unit) on a timely basis.
Facilitate and analyze request on following, and record adjustment appropriately
- Return of excess funds and interest
- Project fund transfers
- Adjustment to receivables
- General ledger adjustment for foreign currency differences and bank charges
- Other bookings for sale of publication and project opening balance
Respond to queries and investigate issues raised by Offices, HQ and other departments/units including but not limited to
- Revenue policies and procedures
- Accounts receivable and revenue balances
- Revenue entries
- Employ internal controls relating to propriety of revenue, receivables and other related accounts. Recommend/adopt improvements as needed.
- Manage and monitor the Revenue mailbox and FinCoorP CAS-Revenue tickets for payment request/invoice issued to donors, incoming funds, and other requests from HQ and Offices worldwide.
Monitoring of Accounts Receivable
- Generate monthly AR aging report and prepare AR follow-up monitoring sheet.
- Coordinate and follow up with Project Managers and Finance contacts on long outstanding AR and update status in the monitoring sheet.
- Investigate any high risks receivables relating to deficit and ineligible costs and coordinate with Finance and Accounting Division (FAD).
- Monitor and clear all the customer accounts on a timely basis.
- Assist in the Travel Expense Claims and Tax advance/reimbursement.
- Monitor and follow-up timely submission of travel expense claims and liquidation of advances from HQ staff.
- Send monthly and quarterly email advise (TR follow-up) based on TEC Aging Report in relation to pending Travel Request as per Travel Module.
- Review and reconcile the suspense project code and GL for air tickets/staff travel costs.
- Check entries erroneously posted and coordinate reclassification entries to the concerned offices.
- Review and timely clear payroll posting related to HQ travel claim settlements in staff vendor accounts.
- Assist in FMR and other reports preparation.
- Provide surge support to other MFS units, (e.g. RAS, MBS, MTS etc.).
- Resolve the long un-resolved discrepancies identified in the various reviews.
- Support during audits (internal and external) on preparation of schedules and help resolve queries on revenue and accounts receivable areas.
- Prepare the business specifications/requirements; and perform testing procedures during development stage for automation of financial reports and procedures in PRISM in view of streamlining the business process related to revenue and accounts receivables.
- Making recommendations to FAD, Regional Accounting Support and / or Regional and Country Offices on both procedural and policy improvements and efficiencies in accounting and finance area with a view of strengthening internal controls to protect the Organization’s assets and reduce the risk of fraud and mismanagement.
- Provide accounting support to Pension Administration team with the monthly upload of UNJSPF accounts.
- Assist in review and reconciliation for UNJSPF Year-end audit.
- Conduct mid-month and month-end bank reconciliations of HQ bank accounts to ensure that bank ledger balance agrees with bank balances. Coordinate reconciling items to Manila and Geneva Treasury and ensures validity of deposit in transits and outstanding disbursements reported for the month.
Perform other accounting functions as may be required.
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three (3) years of relevant professional experience in Accounting or Finance; or,
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or its equivalent.
- Experience in the field of Finance and Accounting.
- Experience of SAP and Oracle (ERP) is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of accounting system and/or SAP and Oracle plus generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in audit an advantage.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
Integrity & transparency
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a “hands-on” approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
How to apply
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 05 July 2023. VN Number and Position Title (DR 032/2023 – Finance Assistant (Claims Processing)) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications must consist of a cover letter, a duly-accomplished IOM Personal History Form, and a résumé highlighting education and experience relative to the above qualifications.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly note that this position is subject to funding availability.
To apply for this job please visit careersph.iom.int.