World Bank Group
Job #: req22189
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 5/1/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets and the world’s largest multilateral source of loan and equity financing and advisory services for private sector in the developing world. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, IFC draws on more than six decades of experience to create opportunities and solutions where they are needed most. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
Financial Institutions Group (FIG) is one of the major industry groups at IFC. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Commercial Banking, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network. Capital Markets is one of FIG’s main areas of strategic focus and future growth and it includes: i) working with clients, institutional investors, and other market participants to help create well-functioning fixed income and equity markets that crowd-in private sector investors; ii) developing vehicles, innovative solutions, and financial instruments such as debt funds, credit enhancement and guarantees, and other risk-sharing and capital optimization structures that enable long-term funding to MSMEs and the broader real sector; and iii) developing resilient and affordable housing finance markets that are accessible to households.. The Capital Markets team in Global FIG works in close collaboration with FIG’s regional teams, other industry and regional departments, Treasury, Sector Economics, and across the WBG to expand IFC’s activities and impact in emerging markets.
IFC is looking to recruit a Global Sector Senior Manager, Financial Institutions Group (FIG), Capital Markets, to lead these critical activities, to be based in Washington, DC.
This is a key leadership role requiring significant and demonstrated market experience, leadership, and management skills. The Global Sector Senior Manager, FIG, Capital Markets will report to the Director, Global Financial Institution Group.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Maintain excellent working partnerships with all Regional Industry Heads, Global Product Managers, and Regional VPs/Directors, Sector Economics, Treasury and Syndications, Climate Business, Competitiveness, and Innovation (FCI) Practice Group of World Bank amongst others.
- Lead a team of Chief Investment Officers, senior and experienced global specialists, and other staff to achieve FIG and IFC’s objectives and KPIs within his/her areas of responsibility.
- Provide strategic direction and focus for IFC/FIG’s activities across the relevant sectors.
- Oversee the provision of high quality and innovative specialist support to business development initiatives of the regional departments focusing on significantly scaling capital markets and housing activities as critical areas of growth for FIG’s and IFC’s own account commitments and mobilization.
- Chair decision meetings and investment committees as needed or delegated.
- Develop a comprehensive program for increasing the knowledge and learning within FIG and for its clients; disseminate lessons learnt.
- Provide the full range of administrative and HR management oversight, including professional development and mentoring staff.
- Develop a comprehensive program for increasing the knowledge and learning and sharing of within FIG and for its clients; disseminate lessons learnt.
- Serve as an internal and external thought leader.
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in finance or business and a minimum of 12 years of relevant work and market experience in capital markets gained working across institutions and markets in developed and emerging markets.
- Good “deal sense,” based on demonstrated strong analytical skills and sound business judgment.
- Strong sense of service to clients and demonstrated business development aptitude.
- Outstanding and proven track record of performance in investment and advisory activities.
- A track record of innovation in developing and structuring products to support investments in emerging markets.
- Experience and track record of delivery in transaction processing and portfolio supervision.
- Unquestionable integrity, strong work ethic and commitment to diversity.
- Genuine commitment to development and the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission and values.
- Strong client relationship management skills, with an existing network of relevant top-level contacts in the FIG sector and/or demonstrated ability to develop such high-level client network.
- Strong leadership capabilities and experience in managing people, especially leading diverse and high-performing teams, including track record of managing and motivating staff across different locations, mentorship, and leading by example.
- Ability to represent IFC externally and to develop and manage relationships with clients, government, media, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, develop innovative solutions, challenge the status quo and make sound decisions to build IFC business and image in the market.
- Recognized as a team player, leader, strategic thinker, and thought leader.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to collaborate closely with other Operations and non-Operations departments and across the broader WBG.
- Meet Bank Group-wide managerial selection criteria including courage of your convictions, leading the team for impact, influencing across boundaries, fostering openness to new ideas and building talent for the future.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.