National Project Officer (Forensics)
Tripoli (LBY), Libya
Job Identification: 13734
Locations: Tripoli (LBY), Libya
Posting Date: 09/19/2023, 05:52 AM
Apply Before: 10/05/2023, 04:00 PM
Job Schedule: Full time
Agency: UN Office on Drugs & Crime
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding and Responsive Institutions
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience
Other Criteria: 5 year with Bachelor degree of relevant professional experience
Required Languages: Fluency in English and Arabic with excellent drafting skills is required.
Desired Languages: Knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
UNODC technical assistance activities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) are undertaken under the broad framework of the Regional Framework for the Arab States (2023-2028). The Regional Framework articulates six focus areas for guiding UNODC-implemented programming at the regional and national levels: 1) A balanced approach to drug control; 2) Strengthening the response to organized crime; 3) Combating trafficking in persons and smuggling of migrants (TIP/SOM); 4) Action against corruption and financial crime; 5) Preventing and countering terrorism and violence; and 6) Strengthening crime/violence prevention and criminal justice.
Under the Regional Framework, UNODC is implementing the project ‘Strengthening forensic services and chain of custody of Libyan Law Enforcement and Criminal Investigation Services’.
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Representative for the Middle East and North Africa and the ROMENA Programme Coordinator on Forensics & Border Security based in Cairo Egypt, the incumbent will be based in UNODC Programme Office in Libya and will work under the direct supervision of the Head of UNODC Programme Office in Libya, to ensure the implementation and expansion of the office portfolio.
The incumbent will assist, in coordination with ROMENA, in the implementation of project activities and the development of further projects. The incumbent will be responsible for providing substantive and administrative support to results oriented, effective, efficient and accountable implementation of the activities and achievement of planned project results and will take part of the implementation of United Nations instruments, resolutions and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Duties and Responsibilities
Within assigned authority, the National Project Officer will assist in the implementation and the expansion of the Libya
Programme Office portfolio. This will include:
- Coordinating the planning and implementation of the project activities as outlined in the project document/
- Contributing to the implementation of UNODC technical assistance in relation to the project by providing
substantive, technical and logistical support;
- Working in close collaboration with National Counterparts, UNODC staff both in the Libya office, ROMENA
and HQs in order to coordinate activities exchange information and to ensure consistent service delivery;
- Working on programme development with a view to ensure the continuous expansion of UNODC portfolio.
Specific tasks to be performed by the National Project Officer (Forensics):
The incumbent will fulfil the functions of National Project Officer, providing substantive support to the development and implementation of the project: ‘Strengthening forensic services and chain of custody of Libyan Law Enforcement and Criminal Investigation Services’under the programme “Strengthening forensic services and chain of custody in the MENA region”. More specifically, the incumbent will fulfil the following tasks:
- Contribute to technical assistance in relation to national and transnational criminal investigation and criminal
justice, with a special focus on forensic sciences, crime scene investigation and chain of custody, by providing
substantive, technical and logistical support.
- Participate in developing and maintaining solid and trustworthy working relations within UNODC (including at
regional and HQ levels), and with sister UN agencies, national counterparts and international partners, through
timely interactions, to facilitate the implementation of UNODC projects, including in collaboration with national
and international partners; promote their participation and contribution to project activities where possible.
- Actively participate in the implementation of capacity building programmes at the national and regional levels, by providing substantive, technical, administrative and logistical support in accordance with overall strategy and priorities, and actively participate in ensuring the timely project planning, review, revisions, monitoring, and evaluation, as well as completion of related reporting obligations.
- Provide well-researched and sound analysis and advice, building and sharing knowledge on national and
transnational criminal investigation and criminal justice, with a special focus on forensic sciences, crime scene
investigation and chain of custody, in Libya, delivering outputs and relevant documents in a timely manner.
- Contribute in drafting of relevant documents and reports required by the donors, the implementation of technical assistance as well as internal reporting, including research analysis, annual/quarterly reports, activity reports, and official correspondence, mission reports, presentations, policy proposals, progress reports, Terms of References (for consultancies, goods and services ensuring qualitative and objective procurement of services) as well as ad hoc reports, communications products such as web stories, newsletters etc in a timely manner.
- Document lessons learnt and best practices throughout project implementation.
- Organize and participate in needs assessment missions and other project missions and when applicable in
substantive discussions with national authorities, and contribute to the drafting of mission reports, and other
relevant reports and/or documents.
- In coordination with relevant UNODC, UNDP and other UN teams, organize all procurement of services as per
project activities and in line with UN procurement regulations and financial rules and support quality assurance
- Actively participate in the coordination with the team on the preparation and M&E of detailed work plans and
accompanying budgets and budget revisions for all project activities, as well as the timely and accurate
submission of progress and financial reports, including tracking and monitoring of expenditure as per funding
agreement; ensure timely project review, revisions, monitoring and completion of related reporting obligations.
- Support the development of new initiatives and identify possible UNODC fields of intervention in close
cooperation with relevant national counterparts and/or international agencies when applicable, including by
drafting concept notes, project proposals and related budgets to ensure continuity of technical assistance and
expansion of the Programme Office in Libya and ROMENA.
- Support the implementation of the UNODC gender strategy;
- Support when applicable the UNODC Programme Office in Libya and carry out any other tasks as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNODC mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Professionalism: Has knowledge of project management/development, including financial management, strategic planning, monitoring and reporting, and in the area of criminal justice and rule of law in particular. Has knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to criminal justice, crime scene management and forensic sciences. Has good research and analytical skills. Is able to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Is able to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Effective communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills. Ability to prepare, consolidate inputs and finalize programmatic reports, project documents and other relevant materials. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Good inter-personal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnership and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and organizing: Ability to plan own work, manage conflicting priorities and to use time efficiently. Ability to organize and implement activities and outputs. Ability to maintain focus and pay attention to necessary details.
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international relations,
project management, public administration, political science, law, criminal justice,
forensics, criminology, security studies or a related field is required
• A first-level university degree OR equivalent academic education, professional training
with certification from a recognized international/national police, customs or other staff
training institution, with specialization in criminal justice, crime prevention, criminal
investigation, law enforcement, and/or other related areas, in combination with two
additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced
Minimum of three years with Masters and five years with Bachelors of relevant
professional work experience are required in administrative and project/programme
implementation, of which at least 2 years directly relevant to the project activities.
• Professional experience and working knowledge of Libyan and/or international
institutions in the areas of criminal justice, forensics and/or scientific police is required.
• Advanced knowledge of Libyan institutions, Libyan legislative framework, and Libyan
criminal justice system is desirable.
• Experience in international technical cooperation, project management and
implementation is desirable.
• Work experience with the United Nations or similar international organization is
Other desirable skills:
• Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc)
and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is required;
• Excellent reporting and drafting skills for routine correspondence is required;
• Experience and readiness to travel within the region are required;
• Experience and knowledge in handling web-based management and ERP financial
management systems is an asset;
• Knowledge of the Umoja system will be an asset.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Planning and organizing
fluency in English and Arabic with excellent drafting skills is required
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.