Job Identification: 10987
Locations: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posting Date: 05/27/2023, 09:30 AM
Apply Before: 06/12/2023, 09:44 AM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Practice Area: Management
Contract Duration: 2 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 5 year(s) experience
Required Languages: English
Mobility required/no mobility: mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN City Copenhagen comprises two campuses. Campus 1 on Marmormolen opened in July 2013 and today houses 11 UN entities with 1,700 staff members representing more than 100 different nationalities. Campus 2, with 400 staff members located in the Free Port in the Northern Harbor of Copenhagen, housing UNICEF’s state-of-the-art high bay warehouse.
The UN City rests on the notion of One UN aspiration for a more coordinated, efficient and collaborative UN system. Gathering the organisations in the same building (Campus 1) not only avoid costs for the individual UN agencies for administration and running costs, but also facilitates and enhances cross-organisational learning and cooperation.
The Common Services unit provides facility management at campus 1 mainly. It is hosted by UNDP and supervised by the Director of UNDP’s Nordic Representation Office. The services rendered are for example mail, reception, logistics, meeting and building maintenance, food and beverages, cleaning, clinic, gym with the aim of providing a conducive, collaborative and sustainable work environment.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Common Services Manager, the Operations Specialist provides the overall administration and operational to varied and inter-related services in UN CITY. This includes strategic financial and administrative support to respective sub-units under the overall guidance of Common Services Manager. The Operations Specialist promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach. In the absence of Common Services Manager, the Operations Specialist acts as an advisor to the UNDP Nordic Office Director, Bureau of Management Services’ and Senior Management of UN Agencies generally on all aspects of UN CITY Common Services management and operations.
The Operations Specialist works in close collaboration with all resident UN agencies, the UNDP HQs staff and Government authorities, and staff in general to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures effective and efficient operational support to common services operations
- Ensures effective and efficient operational support to common services operations
- Ensures effective administration of budgets
- Supports knowledge building and sharing
1) Ensures effective and efficient operational support to common services operations in line with agreed workplan, budget in line with the overall UN CITY vision, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Support to the UN CITY administrative business processes mapping and elaboration of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs) in collaboration with all relevant stakeholders.
- Support and substantial input to Common services procurement plan and execution
Preparation of the administrative team results-oriented work plans.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of projects and activities to improve efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability.
- Assists with cost-benefit analysis of services provided and transaction cost analysis to identify areas of improvement and possible outsourcing.
- Performs duties in the absence of Common Services Manager and represents Common Services Unit in UN Team meetings.
2) Ensures effective administrative and financial control in the UN CITY Common Services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the control mechanism for administrative services, maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Supervision of review, research, verification and reconciliation of a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative rules and regulations.
- Review of data integrity in the database, control programme; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary.
- Proper inventory control; supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies.
- Management of Common Premises Assets in compliance with UNDP Rules and Regulations
Provision of researched information, reports for audit exercises.
3) Ensures effective administration of budgets, proper cost recovery and cash management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UN City projects. Establishment of criteria for pro-ration of Agencies contributions to the common services account, preparation and modifications of the common services budget and follow up on timely recovery of payments.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources of the Common Services, reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Make proposals for improving financial management
4) Supports knowledge building and sharing in Common Services Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Briefing to staff members on general administrative matters; provision of advice and administrative support.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- The Operations Specialist will be supervising and managing staff at General Service levels.
Core Competencies – UNDP Core Competencies can be found here.
- Achieve Results – Level 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively – Level 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously – Level 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility – Level 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination – Level 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner – Level 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion – Level 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management Competencies
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found here.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Finance – Treasury cash management: Ability to manage organization’s cash and investment holdings with the ultimate goal of maximizing liquidity and mitigating risks. Understands the economic environment, interest rates and the importance of economic forecasting. Understands and can implement a treasury management strategy, including cash flow management, debt management and investment strategies.
- Finance – Accounting (General): Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, frameworks, standards, regulations, policies and trends, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
- Business Management – Customer Satisfaction/Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Business Direction & Strategy – Business Acumen: Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome. Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Master’s) University Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a relevant discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in operations, administration and/or accounting/finance.
- Working experience at the required managerial level in UN/UNDP operations/financial management is desirable.
- Management of case management tools and business analytics systems is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and MS Office packages; advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Hands-on experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), preferably with Oracle Cloud is desirable.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.