Peace and Development Officer
Job Identification: 10613
Locations: Islamabad, Pakistan
Posting Date: 05/12/2023, 03:56 PM
Apply Before: 05/27/2023, 12:44 AM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Governance
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Mobility required/no mobility: no mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP Pakistan’s Decentralization, Human Rights and Local Governance (DHL) project is a multi-sector project aimed at strengthening federal, provincial and local governance mechanisms against the backdrop of the 18th Constitutional Amendment (2010). The core objective of the project is to ensure inclusive service delivery in all 4 provinces of Pakistan by providing capacity development support to relevant federal ministries and provincial line departments with an aim to create an enabling environment for effective local governance and rights-based development. At the policy level, the project focuses on supporting provincial governments in preparing inclusive policies; at the institutional level the project emphasizes on digitization of existing government systems and at the community level the project works towards social inclusion of vulnerable populations, especially women in coordination with provincial human rights, local government and social welfare departments. The project incorporates gender equity and gender equality as a cross-cutting theme, with specific focus on enhancing capacities and accountability on gender equal and disaggregated approach. This means developing and implementing specific measures to ensure the effective inclusion and voice of women, girls and persons with non-binary gender identities – specifically from the most marginalized and disenfranchised groups. The project has three main components: (1) human rights; (2) social inclusion and gender equality (3) community stabilization
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor and direct supervision of National Technical Advisor the “Project Officer-Community Stabilization” is expected to achieve the aforementioned deliverables, working in close collaboration with the team members in projects.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Design and develop strategies for the community stabilization programme portfolio
- Manage the implementation of the community stabilization projects
- Monitoring of the ongoing projects and reporting
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with the development partners
- Develop mechanisms and platforms for knowledge management
Design and develop strategies for the community stabilization programme portfolio
- Design policy frameworks and formulate project proposals and initiatives for the community stabilization portfolio.
- Draft inputs to community stabilization strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue, and other documents.
- Conduct stakeholder mapping for relationships with government developments, civil society organizations, and development partners in coordination with field teams.
- Contribute to the assessments of social inclusion and Human Rights programs and coordinate with the social inclusion and human rights project teams to identify opportunities to integrate community engagement into programming design and implementation.
Manage the Implementation of the community stabilization projects
- Manage the overall implementation of the community stabilization projects in a timely manner and be responsible for the projects’ financial, administrative, and technical backstopping, in line with UNDP’s
- policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
- Supervise the implementing partners, field teams, and individual contractors in implementing activities, including reporting, monitoring, and evaluation, and identify and implement project delivery and coordination improvements.
- Lead the coordination of the request for proposals, including the evaluation of technical proposals and coordination with the review committees.
- Develop project concept notes, proposals, budgets, work plans, logical framework, and risk mitigation plans.
- Identify and provide capacity-building support and opportunities to the partners in coordination with the subject experts.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates, budget analyses, and cost projections as required to handle the financial operations of the project.
- Prepare terms of reference for individual contractors and firms including cost estimates and timelines for the implementation of the activities.
- Draft and provide inputs to annual and quarterly reports and coordinate the submission of implementing partner and individual contractors’ financial and narrative reports.
- Ensure effective implementation of day-to-day operations to ensure quality-based implementation of the project and delivery of its outputs
- Establish systems for project planning, implementation, and closeout and record and maintain documents on relevant program activities, issues, and risks.
- Organize and lead the project-related activities including the organization of roundtables, inception workshops, training, working meetings, and other events.
Monitoring of the ongoing projects and reporting
- Manage the monitoring of project implementation using results-based management tools and assessing
- program implementation and achieving maximum efficiency in program delivery through timely monitoring, evaluation, and reporting to highlight the implementation challenges and solutions.
- Design M&E matrix and logical frameworks as required by the programming needs.
- Develop standardized M&E tools for the community stabilization projects and ensure accurate and reliable data collection and analysis which eventually results in dissemination promptly.
Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with the development partners
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, donors, private sector, civil society, and academia aiming at coordinating and promoting new activities and facilitating the implementation of ongoing activities and fundraising for new initiatives.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, and identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant meetings as requested; debrief senior management on critical issues.
- Maintain the smooth flow of communication, exchange of information, and collaboration with and between partners and establish strong relationships with the project’s NGOs and national counterparts.
Develop mechanisms and platforms for knowledge management
- Develop lessons learned and good practices documents, disseminate the knowledge products with the project teams, and present them at relevant key meetings with the development partners.
- Develop internal and external communication and engagement plans.
- Maintain regular coordination and quality assurance of experts’ inputs and products as well as among project partners.
- Design and organize the peer learning session and participate in learning and research initiatives for building knowledge in the area of community stabilization projects.
- Adhere to UNDP Policies and Procedures as outlined in the Operations Manual. Undertake other activities reasonably requested by the consultants, UNDP and other stakeholders for the successful accomplishment of the immediate objectives.
- Ensure gender aspects are integrated in all existing and new project proposals
- Ensure equal opportunities for female staff members of the project
The incumbent of the position will uphold the non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UN”;
- All forms of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Differentiated needs of women, men and persons with non-binary gender identities are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings, etc.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Private sector engagement: Ability to identify, conduct outreach, and manage relationships with the private sector
2030 Agenda: Peace
- Governance: Civil Society Engagement
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programs and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- UNDP Representation: Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social science, governance or any relevant social science degree.
- Minimum 2 years with Bachelor’s degree with relevant experience at national or international level in project implementation, project monitoring and programme implementation.
- Relevant experience with Masters’s degree and/or professional qualification
- Good analytical and writing skills
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong ethics, a collaborative attitude and a passion for improving citizens’ lives
- Ability to cope with uncertainty and to work under pressure.
- Strong communication (spoken and written) skills and ability to articulate ideas in a clear, concise style
Prior working experience with public, private and development sectors in the areas of governance, socio-economic development and reform.
- Good understanding of administrative and socio-economic dynamics of Pakistan specially KP.
- Experience and good understanding of Government institutional and policy set up at various tiers of provincial and federal government.
- Experience in policy report writing, analysis and review skills.
- Strong understanding and use of econometrics and economic modelling.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications is desirable.
- Fluency in English (both in speaking and writing)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.