Position: Project Associate
Job Identification: 10407
Locations: New Delhi, India
Posting Date: 05/03/2023, 09:33 PM
Apply Before: 05/18/2023, 09:44 AM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: SDG Integration
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages: Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Desired Languages: Good command over Hindi
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s new Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
- Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
In September 2015, the General Assembly adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This global “plan of action for people, planet and prosperity” is anchored on 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the agenda’s results framework that captures universal aspirations across three dimensions of sustainable development: economic development, social development and environmental protection. The 2030 Agenda is an integrated, indivisible agenda, which balances the economic, social and environmental dimensions of
sustainability, the success of which will depend on the extent to which coherent, evidence-based plans and policies are formulated and implemented at country, regional and global levels. Today, India is the epicentre of global progress on the SDGs – the country is a leading force for climate action, home to the world’s biggest and most ambitious developmental programmes and social legislations – Housing for All, universal health coverage, digital and financial inclusion, and the empowerment of women, and it is one of the fastest growing major economies.
UNDP in India is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated, collaborative business model. The vast population, uneven development and geographical makeup up of the country together with the federal structure lends itself to an empowered and decentralized field office structure. There is a strong need to strengthen state-level programming, which cannot be done without a strong field presence. SDG Acceleration
Unit focuses on expanding the State level presence of UNDP by coordinating efforts at the State level and by promoting the adoption of the SDG Coordination Centres across States. SDG Acceleration Unit also works closely with the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and is looking to expand the tribal portfolio at the State level.
Job Purpose and Scope of Work
A. Main Purpose:
The main purpose is to provide administrative and implementation support to the Programme Unit under the SDG, Tribal and State projects.
B. Duties and Responsibilities:
Administrative and implementation support to the SDG acceleration Unit for SDG and tribal development projects
Maintain expenditure ledgers and updated approval levels by source of funds using ATLAS/Quantum for projects managed by the unit
Process payment requests from implementing agencies and other partners
Ensure timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers
Create e-requisitions, purchase orders (POs), register goods receipts in Atlas/Quantum
Follow up with vendors on timely receipt of invoices and correct documentation for processing payments to be sent to GSSU
Support in the formulation of project Annual Work Plans, Quarterly Progress Reports (QPR), and Project Implementation Reports (PIRs).
Maintain the internal expenditures control system, monitor fund disbursement in compliance with UNDP rules and procedures, and assist in the management of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
Procurement and HR
Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of effective internal control.
Support end-to-end procurement processes including preparation of RFPs/RFQ documents and documents for the hiring of Individual Consultants (ICs), coordination for issuance of contracts and payments
Create e-requisitions, purchase orders (POs), register goods receipts in Atlas/Quantum
Follow up with vendors on timely receipt of invoices and correct documentation for processing payments
Coordination with the Country Office procurement team on a regular basis
Provide support to HR and procurement team for hiring of consultants under the project.
Support the process of procurement of services and goods in compliance with UNDP guidelines.
Organize travel including the purchase of tickets and DSA calculation
Support organization of workshops, events, seminars and retreats including logistical assistance such as travel arrangements, hotel bookings, IT arrangements, coordination between different units, etc.
Draft responses to emails and letters, minutes of meetings, format presentations and document briefs
Provide support for coordinating interviews, processing requests for contract renewal
Coordinate with HR and procurement team for the advertisement of positions and publishing in various medium for wider circulation
Coordinate for shortlisting of CVs and facilitating the interview process
Coordinate with operational staff on financial systems, queries, reports, schedules, etc.
Maintain records related to equipment and supplies procured under the projects and prepare inventory lists for verification and submission to the Country Office
Maintain up-to-date project files and project documents and provide timely information requested by the partner ministries.
Support 100% delivery against planned project results and financial delivery targets.
Follow up and maintain status of closing of projects
Perform any other tasks assigned from time to time by the Unit
Direct Reporting To1: Policy Specialist, SDGs, NPSA 9
Overall Reporting To2: Chief Advisor, SDG Acceleration Unit, NOD
Reportees to this position (if applicable): NA
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Innovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work- Innovation Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
- Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully -People Management Models independent thinking and action
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform- Communication Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
- Integration within the UN- Job Knowledge
Ability to identify, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
- Administration & Operations- Events Management (including retreat)
Support offices with event management including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc
Minimum Qualifications of the Successful NPSA
Min. Education requirements
- High School Education or Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Social Work Administration or related would be given due consideration
Min. years of relevant work experience
- At least 6 years of experience in Project and administration management with high school or 3 years for candidates with Bachelors Degree
- Experience of working for large scale government funded projects
- Experience of working with an international organization on aspects such as SDGs or similar development agendas.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in the area of professional discipline and job knowledge, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Demonstrates competent analytical and presentation skills.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to assist the team in financial and physical reporting;
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office-Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Intra-Internet, e-mail applications etc.
Team work and Self-Management
- Focuses on expected impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
- Promotes teamwork and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Supports the team in building strong relationships with stakeholders and external actors;
- High interpersonal skills, and ability to remain calm, in control and good humoured under pressure; · Ability to prioritize assignments and requirements, and multitask as needed;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Demonstrates skills to liaise and work with varied stakeholders especially government and technical agencies.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good interpersonal and presentation skills, with an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Good command over Hindi
Professional Certificates NA
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.