Project Associate – Data Analytics
Job Identification: 10711
Locations: Lucknow, India
Posting Date: 05/17/2023, 11:27 AM
Apply Before: 06/04/2023, 09:44 AM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: SDG Integration
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education & Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 6 year(s) experience
Required Languages: Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
Desired Languages: Knowledge of local language is desirable
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s new Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
· Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs
· Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized
· Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
The success of SDGs in Uttar Pradesh has direct link to the localization of the goals due to the vast geographic and demographic specialty of the State. There is a need for a strengthening data collection, coordination, reporting and validation of statistics on the SDGs under the Department of Planning. The Department of Planning is the nodal agency for coordinating and fast-tracking of SDGs in the State. The Department has finalized its State Indicator Framework (SIF) and District Indicator Framework (DIF) in accordance with the National Indicator Framework and has adopted them as per the needs of the state. There is a need to strengthen capacities to report on these indicator frameworks as well as coordinate between various departments/districts to provide accurate data to support the monitoring and measurement of progress of SDGs in the state.
UNDP has been playing the role of SDG integrator and provided support to the NITI Aayog and states of Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Nagaland for SDG implementation and localization through SDG Coordination Centers. UNDP is proposing to set up an SDG Cell in Uttar Pradesh to provide technical support to the Planning Departments, build awareness and capacity of all stakeholders around SDG 2030 Vision of Uttar Pradesh, encourage data update at district and divisional level, and fast-track the achievement of the SDGs. The SDG cell will adopt following strategies to support the implementation and localization of SDG in the state:
- Dividing Uttar Pradesh in 5 zones for monitoring and coordination purpose regarding SDG implementation and localization
- Baseline study on awareness and understanding regarding SDG, NIF, SIF & DIF at the district level and creation of 75 district SDG vision report
- Creating of District SDG Monitoring Committee chaired by District Magistrate in each district supported by planning department staff available in the district
- Creation of Information, Education and Communication products and messages and its dissemination through institutional mechanism in each Gram Panchayat, Urban Local Bodies, and district level staff
- Follow up with each department nodal officer for clearing the backlog of data entry in SDG dashboard portal
Capacity Building of department nodal officers at state level, nodal staff for each goal and department at district level staff on SDG, NIF, SIF & DIF
Job Purpose and Scope of Work
UNDP proposes to engage a Project Associate – Data Analytics to support the SDG Cell at Uttar Pradesh in its efforts to enhance development effectiveness by improving systems, tools and mechanisms for policy and strategy planning, reporting, monitoring, analysis, and evaluation. He will ensure engagement of all direct stakeholders and delivery of project objectives, in coordination with the Government of Uttar Pradesh when needed
Duties and Responsibilities
S/He will be responsible for the following:
- Analyze existing and emerging data gaps on SDG SIF and DIF and suggest corrective measures to planning department
- Awareness on SDG Monitoring Framework with Department at districts level
- Capacity Building Exercises on SDG Indicators for Departments and Districts
- Creating framework for competitive ranking of Districts & Departments
- Progress reports, meeting minutes, consultation reports in district and divisional level
- Support in data analytics for decision making at the departments
- Any other task assigned by the supervisors
Direct Reporting To: SDG Project Analyst, , UNDP India, NPSA8
Overall Reporting To: Policy Specialist, SDG, NPSA9
Reportees to this position (if applicable): Nil
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Management – Results-based Management
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Business Management – Working with Evidence and Data
Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
Digital and Innovation Data Analysis
Ability to extract, analyse and visualize data (including Real-Time Data) to form meaningful insights and aid effective decision making.
Programme and Policy – SDG Integration
SDG monitoring and reporting
External Relations and Advocacy – Event Planning & Execution
Ability to plan, manage and execute of public and private events to ensure that they support and amplify individual communications and advocacy initiatives, as well as UNDP’s overall brand and mandate.
Digital and Innovation – Data Collection
Being skilled in Data Sorting, Data Cleaning, Survey Administration, Presentation and Reporting including collection of Real-Time Data (e.g. mobile data, satellite data, sensor data).
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Education requirements
- High School certificate
- Bachelor’s degree in development economics, statistics, public administration, public policy, or related social science field would be given due consideration
Min. years of relevant work experience
- At least 6 years’ experience of working on developmental solutions at the grass root level with high school or 3 years with Bachelors degree
- Demonstrated work experience in SDG related monitoring framework or implementation will be advantageous
- Excellent data analytical skills and interpretation.
- Must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data).
- Knowledge of data science, skills to develop data management tools, organize and maintain databases and operate data visualization technologies
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Experience on project management, good computer knowledge and Proficiency of MS Office.
- Knowledge to draft or execute a data strategy or a data management framework
- Broad knowledge and understanding of development issues for the State of Uttar Pradesh.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is essential.
- Knowledge of local language is desirable.
Professional Certificates Nil
Remuneration- starting at INR 9,38,398 (Annual) / INR 78,200 (Monthly) as per the scale depending on qualifications and experience. The remuneration is excluding 8.33% pension amount paid over and above the salary
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.