World Health Organization
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 months with possibility of extension subject to funding
Job Posting: Mar 28, 2023, 8:52:24 AM
Closing Date: Apr 18, 2023, 3:59:00 PM
Primary Location: United States-Washington, D.C.
Organization: Knowledge Management and Publications
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Publications Team positions PAHO as health leader, catalyst, and an authoritative source of health information in the Americas and beyond. Through its expertise and advisory role, the Publications Team supports the PAHO Publications Committee to ensure publications bolster the Organization’s strategic priorities for maximum impact. The Team collaborates with PAHO technical departments and country offices to develop multilingual high-quality, high-impact information products that respond to the needs of the Organization’s audiences; ensures that publications comply with rigorous and professional editorial standards; disseminates publications through the most appropriate channels; safeguards the Organization’s intellectual property; and leads open-access initiatives to expand its reach to its stakeholders.
The incumbent will hold the role of Publications Dissemination and Marketing Specialist and will support the Publications Advisor on the development and implementation of innovative strategies to engage with PAHO audiences and to support the distribution of printed and electronic publications. The role will also require frequent interaction with the Communications Department as well as technical entities throughout the Organization.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the Advisor, Publication Services (PUB), and the general guidance of the Deputy Director (DD), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
Develop and implement a forward-looking dissemination and marketing strategy for PAHO publications, with a focus on expanding outreach, increasing the Organization’s visibility and ensuring equitable accessibility;
2. Ensure the correct implementation of the Organization’s open access policy;
3. Expand the print-on-demand model across the Region and worldwide;
4. Coordinate and expand partnerships for dissemination of PAHO products;
5. Design specific and innovative dissemination and marketing strategies for PAHO flagships and priority publications;
6. Expand dissemination channels based on analysis and segmentation of PAHO audiences;
7. Provide technical support for the conceptualization and production of innovative products for different platforms and media to increase the demand for PAHO publications;
8. Expand and coordinate the sales agents’ network in the Americas and worldwide, ensuring that PAHO information products can be purchased in print format, including:
- Negotiating agreements and ensuring vendors’ compliance with the agreed terms of reference.
- Supporting the design and implementation of efficient workflows for delivery of PAHO publications content and metadata to PAHO multiple distribution channels, and ensure quality assurance, including implementation and enhancement of publishing systems.
- Overseeing the production of the annual publications catalog and thematic catalogs.
- Preparing reports from operations and sales activities, including inventory reports.
9. Work with the PAHO web team to maximize web visibility and discoverability;
10. Work with the editorial team, entities communication focal points, and the social media team in the coordination and implementation of the social media strategy for PAHO publications;
11. Coordinate participation in international exhibits, book fairs, and public health events; serve as the PAHO liaison representative for promoting and networking knowledge exchange with visitors interested in PAHO’s work at national and international levels;
12. Oversee the production of the monthly newsletter and special issues;
13. Monitor and evaluate uptake and impact of publications and compile periodic reports to inform decision-making and planning;
14. Performs other related duties, as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or any other field related to the functions of the post, from a recognized university.
If your candidacy is retained for an interview, you will need to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an accredited/recognized institution in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the following link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and the College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Seven years of experience in marketing, sales, and dissemination of publications.
Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by colleagues and counterparts.
Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others/Deal effectively with conflict – Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others; welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team. Proactively identifies conflicts and facilitates their resolution in a respectful manner; tactfully resolves conflicts between or with others and takes action to reduce any possible tension; effectively builds a rapport with individuals and teams, establishing good personal and professional relationships, as well as minimizing risk of potential conflict.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity – Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Listen/Write effectively/Share knowledge – Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
Producing Results: Work efficiently and independently/Deliver quality results/Take responsibility – Prioritizes work, monitors own progress against objectives and adapts plans as required; communicates adjustments as necessary. Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively. Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own time lines effectively and efficiently. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Makes proposals for improving processes as required and takes responsibility for own work and/or actions, as necessary. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
Moving forward in a changing environment: Propose change/Adapt to change – Actively supports Organizational change initiatives and demonstrates personal commitment to them, including when faced with new demands; proposes workable solutions to challenging situations. Engages in positive responses to a changing environment and promotes workable solutions to achieve own and team’s results. Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or team’s work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of the principles of dissemination and marketing of publications, including electronic and print distribution.
- Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of scientific publishing, including open access.
Ability to apply best practices and establish efficient workflows for creating, maintaining and disseminating metadata and content.
- Ability to interact and negotiate agreements with both internal and external parties interested in PAHO scientific information products.
- Ability to research and organize content and to write and/or summarize marketing copy in English and in Spanish in an engaging, clear, concise and grammatically correct manner.
- Ability to coordinate, monitor and control administrative services affecting several projects and involving the allocation of work, developing/adjusting operational procedures, evaluating priorities, coordinating and supporting internal day-to-day activities, etc.
- Ability to coordinate and carry out administrative processes, including the ability to maintain financial accounting and statistical records, and analyze and organize information in order to prepare charts, graphics, reports, etc.
Essential: Very good knowledge of Spanish and English.
Desirable: A working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, spreadsheets and presentations, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and management information systems. Other IT skills and knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook, OneDrive, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, and Word are considered essential.
Monthly Salary: (Net of taxes)
$5,343.42 (Salary is non-negotiable)
$3,393.07 This amount is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates to fill other similar short-term professional positions, at the same grade level.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this position as a form of screening.
- The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
- PAHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
- PAHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are encouraged.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
To apply for this job please visit careers.who.int.