Senior Data Scientist Manager
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Job number: 1549321
Date posted: May 5, 2023
Travel: 0-25 %
Profession: Software Engineering
Role type: People Manager
Employment type: Full-Time
Work site: Up to 100% work from home
At Microsoft Payments, we believe the payment industry is undergoing significant disruption and we want you to help us extend our payments platform to bring new and innovative ways for customers to interact with our payments experiences.
The payments team sits in the Commerce and Ecosystems (C&E) organization and is the heart of all commerce activity at Microsoft such as Xbox, Office and Azure. We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist Manager to drive the analytics that will shape the next generation of fintech experiences and platform capabilities for Microsoft’s ecosystem of products. As a lead, you will also be responsible for managing a team of program managers who will define and guide high-level goals and roadmaps, monitor and communicate progress, and define large-scale programs and platform capabilities. You’ll partner with customer and partner teams and other cross-functional partners both internal and external partners to plan and prioritize a portfolio based on impact and drive execution. Additionally, you will help in designing a platform that continues to scale with Microsoft’s businesses.
- Managers deliver success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching, and caring.
- Model – Live our culture; Embody our values; Practice our leadership principles.
- Coach – Define team objectives and outcomes; Enable success across boundaries; Help the team adapt and learn.
- Care – Attract and retain great people; Know each individual’s capabilities and aspirations; Invest in the growth of others
- Actively participates in managing the practice across time zones within Services and interacting with the greater Microsoft community of data scientists. Identifies readiness need of individual contributors (ICs) to be successful.
Business and Data Landscape
- Leads teams to better understand problems facing a project and is able to leverage resources and knowledge of data science to uncover relevant factors to influence outcomes.
- Ensures team obtains all necessary data for successful execution of project plan. Leverages technical expertise of key technologies and tools necessary for data exploration (e.g., structured query language [SQL], Python) and ensures team members are experienced in these technologies.
- Leads teams to better recognize and leverage customer perspectives when initiating, communicating, and implementing new projects/products.
- Works with customers to overcome obstacles, develop tailored and practical solutions, and ensure proper execution.
- Collaborates with others to perform experimental methodologies, statistics, optimization, and probability theory for general-purpose software and statistical packages and develops deep understanding of methodology and statistical options, when they should be used, and begins to provide suggestions on their use.
- Assesses and communicates the degree to which models meet business objectives; develops novel ways to relate generated models with business objectives.
- Leverages technical expertise to anticipate and identify trend changes and adapt work accordingly and makes business recommendations, such as cost-benefit, invest-divest, forecasting, and impact analysis with effective presentations of findings.
- Serves as a role model for less experienced engineers by developing, testing, and implementing changes to optimize code to improve efficiency, reliability, diagnosability, maintainability, and operability.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field AND 5+ years data-science experience (e.g., managing structured and unstructured data, applying statistical techniques and reporting results)
- OR Master’s Degree in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field AND 3+ years data-science experience (e.g., managing structured and unstructured data, applying statistical techniques and reporting results)
- OR Doctorate in Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field AND 1+ year(s) data science experience (e.g., managing structured and unstructured data, applying statistical techniques and reporting results)
- OR equivalent experience.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Expertise in Payments, Payments processing, financial services or Fintech
- Willingness to contribute as an individual, in addition to working through direct reports
- A growth mindset that enables working in ambiguous environments and finding product market fit
- Ability to work with data at scale by partnering closely with customers and engineers
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Lead strategic direction and product decisions across your team and other cross-functional teams
- Product Management experience held at fast-growing, dynamic, technology company known for
- good product management discipline
Data Engineering M4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 – $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 – $238,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: US corporate pay information | Microsoft Careers
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.