International Labour Organization
Vacancy no.: ANKARA/DC/NO/2023/04
Publication date: 07 March 2023
Application deadline (midnight local time): 21 March 2023
Job ID: 10515
Organization Unit: CO-ANKARA
Contract type: FT
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of further extension till 28 February 2026
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Turkey.
Development cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given at the first step of the grade. Extensions of development cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates:
- In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Any extension of development cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
To consult the vacancy notices and apply, please see the following links:
Currently serving staff (WLT, FT, ST, SST) should access the ILO Jobs module of ILO People (FAQs)
External candidates (including consultants, interns, daily contacts holders and staff at ITC-ILO in Turin) should access the ILO Jobs external site (FAQs)
The position will be funded under the Development Cooperation project “Workplace Compliance through Labour Inspection Guidance and Social Dialogue (WPC)”. The project is funded by the EU and linked to CPO TUR 158 (Outcome 1 -Strong Tripartite Constituents and Influential and Inclusive Social Dialogue and Outcome 7- Adequate and Effective Protection for All).
The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the creation of a more decent work environment for all women and men in Türkiye. For reaching this intended aim, the project proposes to i) improve the institutional capacity of Directorate of Guidance and Inspection (DoGI) of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security (MoLSS) and the social partners to increase workplace compliance and b) improve the workplace compliance through strengthening guidance services and awareness raising on decent work.
Directorate of Guidance and Inspection and social partners are among the target groups of the project.
The ILO will be operationally and technically responsible for the referred project which will be implemented and managed by the ILO. Directorate of Guidance and Inspection is the Beneficiary of the project.
The Senior Project Coordinator will be the main responsible person for the smooth and effective implementation of the project according to ILO rules, donor requirements and in line with project cycle management principles, and undertake the duties and responsibilities detailed under Section 3.
2. Reporting lines:
The Senior Project Coordinator will report to the Director of the ILO Office for Türkiye.
Description of Duties
1. Ensure smooth and effective implementation of the “Workplace Compliance through Labour Inspection Guidance and Social Dialogue (WPC)” project
2. Ensure timely provision of inputs, effective backstopping, timely and efficient delivery of outputs, monitoring, reporting, and evaluation of the project activities in conformity with ILO policies and programme strategies, as well as donor requirements.
3. Manage and oversee progress of the project and activities by reviewing, preparing, verifying and analysing work-plans, progress reports, and other data.
4. Ensure timely preparation and submission of project technical and financial reports as outlined in the donor agreement.
5. Guide and oversee the work of the staff under the project and ensure effective coordination and collaboration between the various project components, as well as other projects in the same area.
6. Supervise the Project Management Team (PMT) and ensure coordination among the members of the PMT as well as with the DC projects of ILO-Ankara, the target groups and the other project stakeholders and project target groups.
7. Oversee the organisation of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings.
8. Serve as a focal point for selected technical subjects and attend meetings, workshops and inter-agency meetings, and present reports and papers.
9. Contribute to the selection and monitoring of national and international consultants; provide them with necessary background documentation and ensure availability of clear guidelines and terms of references for the expected work to be done.
10. Identify national and international specialists and institutions to ensure that capacity building and technical guidance is provided as required to the direct and ultimate beneficiaries.
11. Review relevant documents/information on workplace compliance and labour inspection that are produced by the Government, research institutions, universities, other UN agencies, and other development partners; and make use of them for improving the labour inspection and administration in Türkiye.
12. Manage regular monitoring of the expenditure, budget realisations and delivery rates; and suggest necessary revisions and reallocations in a timely manner.
13. Liaise with relevant technical departments at HQ including LABADMINOSH, FUNDAMENTALS and PROCUREMENT and ensure their involvement and technical support to the project activities.
14. Undertake regular missions to project sites independently or accompanying others and conduct regular meetings with stakeholders and beneficiaries, as deemed necessary.
15. Provide strategic advice to the beneficiary, the project target groups, the ILO, the team members as well as other project stakeholders or relevant institutions on the project progress, issues, and necessary actions to be taken for the timely delivery of the expected project outputs.
16. Brief ILO specialists, project experts, associate experts and visiting officials and provide relevant information on project matters.
17. Ensure that gender equality is mainstreamed into all project activities.
18. Be responsible for the coordination of the communication activities.
19. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of ILO Office for Türkiye.
– First level of university degree (bachelor’s or equivalent) in a Social Sciences, Economics, Business Administration, Engineering or relevant fields
– Minimum of three years of professional work experience in programme and/or project planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation activities.
– Knowledge of international labour standards (ILO Conventions) on labour inspection
– Knowledge of Türkiye’s labour inspection system is an asset
– Experience in working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, in particular strategic management/programming modules is an asset.
– Knowledge of ILO and EU procedures on project implementation would be an asset.
– Experience in working with government institutions and social partners will be an asset.
– Excellent command of English and Turkish both oral and written.
Among nine ILO core competencies, following competencies are particularly important for this position:
Integrity and Transparency, Sensitivity to Diversity, Quality Orientation, Client Orientation, Collaboration, Communication, Taking Responsibility for Performance
– Excellent managerial skills
– Political awareness and understanding of socio-economic factors.
– Good knowledge of programme and budget, project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices.
– Good knowledge of the role and operations of UN system activities for development.
– Ability to perform a variety of conceptual analyses required for the formulation, administration and evaluation of projects.
– Excellent drafting skills.
– Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
– Excellent analytical skills.
– Ability to supervise staff.
– Good organizational skills.
– Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
– Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
– Management and leadership skills.
– Ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive attitude are also required.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures. Applicants will be contacted directly if slected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video, Zoom and teleconference, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ilo.org.