World Health Organization
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two years, first year probationary period.
Job Posting: Mar 17, 2023, 3:11:23 PM
Closing Date: Apr 7, 2023, 3:59:00 PM
Primary Location: United States-Washington, D.C.
Organization: Family, Health Promotion and Life Course
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Social and Environmental Determinants for Health Equity (DHE) Department leads intersectoral, strategic and collaborative efforts at the regional, subregional and country levels, enabling countries to reduce health inequities, promote health and well-being, address social determinants of health -including its commercial, economic, political dimensions- to integrate equity, human rights, gender and interculturality into the public health agenda, and to address the threats of climate change, to create healthy environments and to prevent disease by addressing environmental risk factors. DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Director (AD), and the direct supervision of the Director of DHE, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to these duties:
- Provide programmatic and policy advice to Member States and senior officials in the Organization on topics related to the conditions in which people live and work, and conditions that determine health, well-being and health equity. These include 2.Social Determinants of Health and health equity, including its commercial, economic and political dimensions, Health Promotion, Intersectoral action and Health in All Policies, Workers’ Health, Community Participation, Local Health Governance and Urban Health, as well as Health Related Law, and are aligned with the 2030 Agenda and other global and regional mandates
Develop, define and establish the objectives, strategy plan and budget of the Health Promotion and Social Determinants of Health (DHE/HP) Unit; ensure that Organization-wide approaches, strategies and objectives are aligned with the Organization’s mission, vision, values, policies, strategies and priorities; produce results aligned with the Unit’s biennial and multi-year plans and make adjustments as required
3.Lead the mainstreaming work in the organization on intersectoral action, as well as community participation; provide guidance for mainstreaming of equity in the organization and foster interprogrammatic work to increase health equity in general
4. Coordinate and oversee the preparation of briefing material, presentations, draft speeches, intelligence reports, and policy proposals on health promotion, social determinants of health and health equity issues, including its political, commercial and economic determinants, for the PAHO Director, Senior Management and DHE Director
5. Lead, oversee, and coordinate the preparation of reports and expert group meetings on health promotion and social determinants of health, including PAHO’s mandates on the 2030 Agenda, Healthy Settings, Intersectoral action and Health in All Policies, Urban Health and local governance for health, community participation and Workers’ Health, Health Promotion and other mandates related to health equity
6. Formulate and recommend policies, plans, strategies, and budgets, in support of the Governing Bodies’ mandates related to the work of the Unit; develop and establish guidelines, norms, practices and procedures to improve effectiveness and efficiency; report to Governing Bodies, through executive presentations and reports, on the status or results of the Unit’s activities
7.Administer, allocate and monitor the Unit’s financial, logistical and human resources
8.Provide leadership, guidance and monitoring of supervised staff
9.Formulate, plan and manage the program of work of the Unit and its resources, including biennial program and budget, strategic framework and reports on budget performance and implementation; establish goals and priorities; implement the HR Plan and monitor the performance of the staff to ensure their understanding and participation; cooperate and maintain liaison with other advisors on relevant work and activities of DHE and the HP Unit
10.Coordinate and cooperate with other partners in WHO and the United Nations system as well as with other national, regional and global organizations for policy analysis, networking and the implementation of the work program of PAHO on the 2030 Agenda, Health Promotion and, Social Determinants of Health and health equity, with all its dimensions
11.Assess and interpret major policy issues related to the core work of the Unit and establish or adapt technical cooperation policies, procedures and practices to improve the Unit’s effectiveness and efficiency
12. Determine and recommend technical cooperation projects and program elements, as well as the modality of project implementation, including suitable project financing and executing arrangements and assuring the timely monitoring, reporting and evaluation of project and program results and accomplishments
13.Serve as the communication link between the Director of DHE and HP Unit staff members on matters of policy, strategies and program implementation and evaluation
14. Mobilize resources for the Unit’s work, advise Member States and negotiate with representatives of specialized agencies and with representatives of multilateral and bilateral donors, as well as nongovernmental organizations, to mobilize resources and to ensure the coherence, coordination and integration of the technical cooperation process and the effective achievement of related objectives
15. Assess the suitability, relevance and value of the Unit’s projects and objectives, so as to plan and implement modifications for the benefit of the Member States and the Organization
16. Establish and maintain liaison with counterpart within PAHO and WHO, in order to ensure consistency in policies and strategies and coordination in the delivery of technical cooperation to Member States
17. Promote linkages with external institutions and agencies with projects and activities in the same programmatic areas, in order to obtain and maintain information about such projects and activities and seek interagency and international cooperation and coherence
18. Support the Organization’s response to emergency situations within the Region
19. Identify and assess major inputs to policy formulation and propose priorities for the management of the Unit’s activities in technical cooperation and to ensure their adequate implementation and evaluation
20. Support and collaborate with the work related to other Cross Cutting Themes and ensure that these topics are considered in all the work performed within DHE and HP
21. Perform other related duties, as assigned
Essential: A university degree in a health or social science, and a master’s degree in public health or any other field related to the functions of the post, with emphasis on health promotion, social determinants of health or health equity from a recognized institution
Desirable: A PhD degree in any of the areas of responsibility of the position would be an asset
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, copies of the degree(s). WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited in the World Higher Education Database (WHED) link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO also uses http://www.chea.org and https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process
Essential: Thirteen years of combined national and international progressively responsible experience working in a broad range of health promotion and social determinants of health and health equity issues. Experience should include at least five years of experience working in areas related to health promotion, the social and environmental determinants of health, sustainable development, health equity. This should include experience in working with communities and sectors beyond the health sector, as well as with local governments. Experience in the development, implementation of and fundraising for health and development projects, preferably in an international agency
Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity
Teamwork: Advocates for collaboration across the Organization Creates and encourages a climate of team- working and collaboration across the Organization; sees cooperation as a key Organizational priority and creates collaborative systems and processes to achieve Organizational goals. Actively identifies and tackles disagreements between internal and external counterparts that compromise the Organization’s goals and mandate; diplomatically facilitates the resolution of conflicts between others and ensures strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders; maintains and extends an effective collaborative network of individuals inside and outside the Organization
Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Share knowledge. Articulates the Organization’s strategic objectives when formulating and delivering information and presentations and adapts presentation methodology to address the needs of different audiences. Shares decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures both understanding and acceptance; shares knowledge and best practice at the three Organizational levels (country, regional and global), as necessary
Creating an empowering and motivating environment: Provide direction/Support, motivate and empower others – Oversees and provides teams and departments with clear managerial directions which are translated from Organizational strategy. Builds a performance culture in the Organization; contributes to setting Organizational performance goals and standards; monitors Organizational performance against milestones and strategic goals; identifies and nurtures talent as appropriate. Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization; inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success
Ensuring effective use of resources: Strategize and set clear objectives/Monitor progress and use resources well Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization
Driving the Organization to a successful future: Constructive leadership style/ Set the vision and build commitment. Leads and develops a road map for successfully achieving real progress in the Organization’s mandate, including consultation with key stakeholders; demonstrates respectful, trustworthy, transparent and accountable behavior in order to develop a reliable and coherent identity for the Organization. Creates a coherent Organizational vision of shared and successful goals; fosters a culture of vision and long- term goals, recognizing and rewarding efforts to maximize the Organization’s value
Technical: Extensive progressive expertise at a senior level in managing complex health related social development, programs and projects that address inequity, at both national and international levels. Demonstrated knowledge of interdisciplinary sustainable development and health analysis. Ability to provide authoritative technical advice and leadership in areas of technical responsibility. Experience in leading processes involving community participation, intersectoral action, and the promotion of health equity, addressing social determinants of health and using a health promotion focus.
Managerial: Extensive expertise in senior, progressively responsible positions in the management of a large public or private administration of administrative and technical matters requiring sensitive negotiation and high level policy interventions. Demonstrated ability to provide professional leadership to strategic, organizational, managerial and analytic work in health; resourcefulness, initiative, highly developed judgment and interpersonal skills to deal with difficult situations, sensitive issues; establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different professional levels, discipline, nationalities, and cultural background. Managerial skills for setting goals and objectives that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifying priority activities and assignments; allocating appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foreseeing risks and developing contingencies when planning; monitoring and adjusting plans and actions as necessary.
Administrative: Skills in resource mobilization (including fundraising and partner collaboration) and financial management for the delivery of expected results.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset
Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, spreadsheets and presentations, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and management information systems.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
US $92,731.00 + *63.5% post adjustment. *May vary.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual. PAHO/WHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities. PAHO/WHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct. PAHO/WHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution. PAHO is committed to workforce diversity
PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy
Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world.Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test/interview will be held for this post
To apply for this job please visit careers.who.int.