World Health Organization
Contractual Arrangement: Fixed-term appointment
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): One year, First year probationary period. Post of limited duration
Job Posting: Apr 20, 2023, 12:16:27 PM
Closing Date: May 10, 2023, 3:59:00 PM
Primary Location: United States-Washington, D.C.
Organization: Pan American Health Organization
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Innovation, Access to Medicines and Health Technologies Department (IMT) is responsible for promoting, coordinating, and implementing the Organization’s technical cooperation in access to and rational use of quality medicines and other health technologies. IMT works across all categories of medicines and health technologies, including medicines, vaccines, diagnostics, medical equipment, blood products, and organs for transplantation. IMT supports countries in addressing barriers to access, addressing challenges across the medical product full life cycle, strengthening regulatory capacity and supporting evidence-based decision making and rational use through health technology assessment. IMT consolidates action in the development of pharmaceutical and other health technology related services and leads efforts in innovation through the regional platform to advance the manufacturing of vaccines and other health technologies, increasing regional capacity in the research and development of priority health products, and supporting the generation of ecosystems to enable development, production and access to medicines and other health technologies.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Innovation, Access to Medicines and Health Technologies (IMT), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Perform administrative support functions, including but not limited to coordinating and organizing the appointments and calendar of the Director, Innovation, Access to Medicines and Health Technologies (IMT); handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion; place and answer telephone calls, handle routine calls or forward calls to the appropriate officer(s); screen, with considerable tact, all requests to speak to or see the Department Director; establish the purpose of the request and determine which requests can be handled by self or other Department team members; receive visitors; prepare agendas and other material for use on official trips or special meetings, gathering and validating relevant background information; review all outgoing correspondence to ensure accuracy, correct spelling and punctuation and adherence to established practices and procedures;
- Assist in the preparation of technical presentations, technical reports and articles by reviewing, correcting and/or rewriting texts to improve clarity, conciseness and coherence; prepare and verify the content of tables, graphs, and charts; based on instructions received, draft articles, reports, technical documents, charts, and a variety of correspondence involving the use of technical terminology; follow up on the submission of reports and correspondence in order to ensure established deadlines are met;
- Review all incoming correspondence which require action by the Director, Innovation, Access to Medicines and Health Technologies (IMT); review for substance, identify urgent matters and ensure that these are handled expeditiously; determine which can be answered by specific Team personnel; gather relevant background documentation for correspondence requiring action by the Department Director; make recommendations regarding the appropriate action to be taken; follow up with Department personnel and other organizational components on the submission of reports and correspondence to meet established timelines;
- Organize and make duty travel arrangements for the Department Director. This includes: obtaining concurrence from country to be visited; preparing itineraries; obtaining visas, where applicable; preparing spend authorizations and purchase orders; coordinating transportation and hotel accommodations, providing him/her with all background documentation for his meetings prior to departure; preparing expense reports upon his/her return (and his/her completion of Travel Report) and following up on programmatic and administrative actions resulting from duty travel of the Department Director;
- Serve as liaison regarding logistical and operational processes and activities between the Department Director and staff in the Department, as well as with other offices throughout the Organization; communicate procedures to be followed for meetings of Governing Bodies, Advisory Committees, etc.;
- In the absence of the Department Director, collaborate with the Acting Department Director in matters related to the everyday activities of the Department;
- Assist in the preparation of Briefing Book documents for the Office of the Director and any other office, based on information provided by the Department Director and/or staff;
- Prepare correspondence on own initiative or from verbal instructions for signature of the Department Director; prepare draft translations of correspondence and other materials from English into Spanish and vice versa;
- Establish and maintain physical and electronic files and controlled reference material; register all correspondence in computerized systems and follow up on correspondence going to other offices for clearance and/or signature; maintain the confidential files of the Department; conduct research of files, reports, and other sources to obtain material requested and, when necessary, compiling summaries;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: Certificate of completion of high school.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/ and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Six years of administrative work experience.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with other/Deal effectively with conflict – Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others; welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team. Proactively identifies conflicts and facilitates their resolution in a respectful manner; tactfully resolves conflicts between or with others and takes action to reduce any possible tension; effectively builds a rapport with individuals and teams, establishing good personal and professional relationships, as well as minimizing risk of potential conflict.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity – Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Listen/Write effectively/Share knowledge – Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
- Knowing and Managing Yourself: Remain productive/Continuously learn – Remains objective and focused even in a “changing and moving” environment; continues to display positive behavior when facing some constraints; keeps challenges in perspective. Seeks all relevant information for decision making from a wide range of sources; quickly learns new competencies and skills that expand role capability; shows rapid understanding of new and/or complex information relevant to job.
Producing results: Work efficiently and independently/ Deliver quality results/Take responsibility – Prioritizes work, monitors own progress against objectives and adapts plans as required; communicates adjustments as necessary. Acts proactively and stimulates action as needed; handles problems effectively and constructively. Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own time lines effectively and efficiently. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
- Ability to write/originate routine and non-routine correspondence and reports in English and Spanish.
- Ability to prepare working translations from Spanish to English and vice versa.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and carry out administrative processes such as: meetings, recruitment of staff, personnel matters, preparation of formal publications, budget and expenditures records, acquisition of supplies.
- Ability to research, analyze and organize information in order to prepare charts, graphics, reports, etc.
- Ability to coordinate, monitor and control administrative services affecting several projects and involving the allocation of work, developing/adjusting operational procedures, evaluating priorities, coordinating and supporting internal day-to-day activities, etc.
- Ability to supervise, including skills in planning, organizing, evaluating, problem-solving and decision-making of office management matters.
- Ability to understand and use Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
Very good knowledge of Spanish and English.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use current technology and software, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP). Other IT skills and knowledge of software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook, OneDrive, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint, and Word are considered essential.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (Local Recruitment)
THIS VACANCY NOTICE MAY BE USED TO FILL OTHER SIMILAR POSITIONS AT THE SAME GRADE LEVEL.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
PAHO/WHO is an ethical organization that maintains high standards of integrity and accountability. People joining PAHO are required to maintain these standards both in their professional work and personal activities.
PAHO/WHO also promotes a work environment that is free from harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, and other types of abusive behavior. PAHO conducts background checks and will not hire anyone who has a substantiated history of abusive conduct.
PAHO/WHO personnel interact frequently with people in the communities we serve. To protect these people, PAHO has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. People who commit serious wrongdoing will be terminated and may also face criminal prosecution.
PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity. PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan, and health insurance scheme.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Administrative/support positions in Washington, D.C. are open to Washington, D.C. metropolitan area residents only. Candidates must be U.S. Citizens or hold a Permanent Resident Alien card (Green Card).
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organizational purposes.
To apply for this job please visit careers.who.int.