World Bank Group
Job #: req23300
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Vienna,Austria; Bucharest, Romania; Warsaw, Poland
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 7/24/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career in Finance that is full of meaning and impact, working at the forefront of the Green Transformation of Europe, spearheading the Decarbonization agenda of European MNCs, supporting the transition to E-mobility and promoting Circular Economies while engaging in Crisis Response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and enabling its reconstruction & development? The Manufacturing, Agribusiness & Services (MAS) Industry Group in Europe (MAS Europe) plays a key role in in supporting these strategic priorities of International Finance Corporation (IFC) – a member of the World Bank Group. IFC is the largest global development finance institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
MAS Europe cover investments in different manufacturing, agribusiness and services (including health, education, tourism, retail and property) sectors in the emerging European countries, which can account for as much as 80% of overall economic activity in these countries and play a critical role in providing goods and services to consumers, addressing core needs, creating jobs, contributing to government revenue and stimulating economic growth.
MAS Europe is seeking to recruit an Associate/Investment Officer. Possible locations are Bucharest, Vienna or Warsaw. The position will call for sourcing and executing new investment transactions in the Manufacturing, Agribusiness, Tourism/Retail/Property and Health/Education sectors in Europe, supervision of several assigned portfolio exposures as well as supporting the business development efforts in the region as needed.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The candidate should have a proven track record of deal execution in multidisciplinary teams and professionals (i.e. industry specialists, investment officers and analysts, lawyers, insurance, corporate governance and environmental and social specialists), who have expertise in the regions and/or MAS sectors. Experience with various sponsors/investors/clients, as well as varying investment products (senior secured loans, mezzanine, straight equity etc.) will be important. The work program is varied and may be somewhat complex requiring evaluation, original thinking, and strong written communication skills commensurate for generation of various high quality written outputs appropriate for senior management audience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new transactions, and portfolio restructurings / rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transactions
- Participate or lead negotiations as appropriate; use financial competences and personal influencing skills to overcome impasses and lead negotiations to a successful outcome
- Work with senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects
- Prepare presentations and other documentation as contributions to IFC’s internal reporting and external communication, marketing and outreach.
- MBA or equivalent qualification
- 5+ years of experience in finance with a proven track-record in areas of sourcing, structuring and closing investments and/or supervising loan and equity exposures including working on restructurings, modifications and negotiated exits
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity)
- Demonstrated knowledge of industries, industry trends and opportunities in the sub-region countries, and understanding of local issues
- Business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on client’s needs effectively
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as government officials
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English and ability to write and speak clearly in a logical, comprehensive yet concise manner. Fluency in another regional language is a plus.
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to mentor analysts/other more junior staff
- Ability to manage and complete multiple projects/tasks simultaneously and to meet deadlines under pressure
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development and to highest ethical standards
- Willingness to travel extensively
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.