Construction Area Safety Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date posted: Jun 19, 2023
Work site: Microsoft on-site only
Travel: 0-25 %
Role type: Individual Contributor
Profession: Governance, Risk, & Compliance
Discipline: Environmental Health & Safety
Employment type: Full-Time
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a Construction Area Safety Manager, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundation technologies for Microsoft’s online services including Bing, Office 365, XBOX, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. Empower Billions!
The Cloud Operations + Innovation (CO+I) business is critical to delivering on this mission and vision, building and operating Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure, which is growing rapidly in response to unprecedented demand for Microsoft services. CO+I operates one of the largest cloud networks on the planet – comprised of more than 160 Datacenters, 130+ edge sites, 2+ million miles of fiber, and millions of servers and network and storage devices.
The Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) team is seeking a Construction Area Safety Manager with the passion to drive value across complex supplier relationships and demonstrated experience in supplier management. Proficient analytical skills, using data to design processes that scale, effective collaboration across internal and external stakeholders, and the drive to continuously improve and achieve business objectives will be critical to success in this role.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Develop, own and drive process improvement in the EHS framework within CO+I organizations to deliver key results that align with organizational goals.
- Work across teams and collaborate to develop new programs and initiatives such as Pre-employment Fit for Duty and Drug and Alcohol programs.
- Assess organizational capability and requirements, identifying tactics to improve performance, and developing strategic approaches to manage risk.
- Maintain EHS performance scorecard information, reporting dashboard and deliver summary overviews and related communications to stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with all Microsoft policies as well as regulatory policies at the local, federal, or regional level, and ensure that programs support accuracy, quality, appropriate review, and thorough documentation.
As a Construction Area Safety Manager, you will need to leverage the following skills and abilities to perform your responsibilities:
- Project management, produce and maintain timelines, and document progress.
- Create clarity from ambiguous and complex situations.
- Problem solving, issue-resolution, attention to detail, and balance multiple priorities across a geographically distributed set of projects.
- Sense of ownership, urgency, drive, independence, and flexibility.
- Analytical and quantitative skills; using data and metrics to test theories, confirm or disprove assumptions, and measure success.
- Ensure compliance and proactive management of risk through an extensive knowledge of standards and regulatory requirements
- Establish safety and health mitigation goals and developing metrics, dashboards and/or scorecards to track/communicate/drive progress across an organization.
- Interpret safety metrics and effectively communicate insights to leadership to drive action and accountability.
- Drive multiple high priority initiatives simultaneously.
- Influence teams to achieve shared goals and objectives.
- Lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
As a Construction Area Safety Manager, you will be leveraging your subject matter expertise within the following areas to lead, drive and manage a variety of programs and initiatives:
- Electrical Safety
- Control of Hazardous Energy (Lockout/Tagout)
- Occupational Noise Control
- Exposure Assessment (Industrial Hygiene)
- Emergency Response Planning
- Working at Heights
- Confined Space Entry
- Heavy Material Handling
- Powered Industrial Trucks (Forklifts)
- Trenching & Excavation
- Fire/Life Safety
- Mobile Elevated Work Platforms
- Hazardous Substances Handling
- Waste Management
- Emergency response plans
- Risk assessment and hazard mitigation
- Permit to Work processes
- Root Cause Analysis
- High Risk Activity Management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety and Health Environmental Science, Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Hygiene, related field AND 4+ years experience in Environmental Health and Safety Worldwide Regulations
- OR equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of professional experience in strategic planning and risk management across multiple sites
- Demonstrated working knowledge of U.S Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, and other non-regulatory safety standards applicable to the location of operations.
- This position requires verification of Canadian citizenship due to citizenship-based legal restrictions. Specifically, this position supports Canadian federal, state, and/or local government agency customers and is subject to certain citizenship-based restrictions where required or permitted by applicable law. To meet this legal requirement, citizenship will be verified via a valid passport.
- The ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene, or related field AND 8+ years Environmental Health and Safety Worldwide Regulations experience
- OR Master’s Degree in Health and Safety, Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene, or related field AND 6+ years Environmental Health and Safety Worldwide Regulations experience
- OR equivalent experience.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Occupational Health and Safety Technologist (OHST), Construction Health and Safety Technologist (CHST) or other recognized industry professional certification.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience engaging and influencing cross-functional stakeholders and executives.
- Experience developing and implementing organizational frameworks, standards, and processes.
Experience designing and deploying global health and safety programs.
- Experience delivering cross functional programs, including ownership, and driving results.
- Mission Critical project delivery
- French language proficiency
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Industry leading healthcare
Discounts on products and services
Savings and investments
Maternity and paternity leave
Generous time away
Opportunities to network and connect
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.careers.microsoft.com.