Data Center Technician Manager
Date posted: Jun 08, 2023
Job number: 1558556
Work site: Microsoft on-site only
Travel: 0-25 %
Role type: People Manager
Profession: Data Center
Discipline: Data Center Technicians
Employment type: Full-Time
As a Microsoft Data Center Technician (DCT) Manager, you will lead a team of technicians, providing expert guidance on performing hardware deployments, diagnostics on equipment, and hardware decommissions. You will support technician performance, prioritizing technician tasks while monitoring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Service Level Agreements (SLAs). This opportunity will allow you to model leadership principles, provide training to technicians, and accelerate your career growth in the process.
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Data Center Technician Manager, you will perform a key role in delivering the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft’s online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development of all employees and offers training and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion training and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 200 data centers in 32 countries and millions of servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our data center design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Delivering success through empowerment and accountability by modeling, coaching, and caring while promoting a positive and effective team culture.
- Accountable for overall data center service compliance and quality.
- Provide guidance on and holds team accountable for compliance with Data Center Services (DCS) business unit and service-level policies, procedures, deadlines, and service-change policies.
- Ensures technicians are trained on procedures for installation, deployment, replacement, and post-execution quality check processes.
- Verify post-execution quality checks have been performed appropriately by technicians and takes corrective action as needed.
- Escalate issues through appropriate channels and follow up on issue resolution, sharing knowledge related to issue resolution with appropriate teams.
- Review process changes to evaluate impact on service execution and share relevant information about change with stakeholders across functions and disciplines.
- Lead team and triage meetings, prioritizing work across your team, and rebalance priorities to respond to changes.
- Complete required safety training, conduct daily safety briefings, and participate in on-site safety committees.
- Ensure technicians and vendor resources comply with all safety procedures (e.g., Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) usage, equipment use, lifting, electrical hazards, ladder/rolling stair use).
- Promote a culture of safety and empower technicians to take action, speak up, and report safety concerns and/or incidents.
- Has pride and a sense of accountability for the service quality, completeness, and resulting customer experience, displaying accountability and ownership of the data center facilities.
- Embody our culture and values.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent and basic knowledge of computer hardware and components AND 3+ years’ experience supporting IT equipment or related technology or related experience working with technical teams.
- 1+ year(s) experience directing, supervising, or managing others.
- Ability to work 12 hours shifts, including shift assignments during non-standard business hours that may include evening, nighttime, weekends, and/or holidays.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Associate degree in Computer Science or related field and/or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years’ experience supporting IT equipment or related technology.
- 3+ years’ experience working in a production, mission-critical 24x7x365 data center environment.
- Applicable certifications: Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation, ASICS/Inventory Control, CompTIA (A+, Server+, Network+), Basic Structure Cabling (BSC), Certified Data Center Professional (CDCP), Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Six Sigma Green Belt).
- 2+ years’ experience leading diverse, technical, or IT workforce of up to ten employees.
Data Center Technicians M3 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $74,100 – $165,600 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $101,200 – $182,200 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here:https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Industry leading healthcare
Discounts on products and services
Savings and investments
Maternity and paternity leave
Generous time away
Opportunities to network and connect
To apply for this job please visit jobs.careers.microsoft.com.