Job Title: Data Centre Principal Electrical Engineer
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Multiple Locations, United Kingdom
Multiple Locations, Sweden
Multiple Locations, Netherlands
Multiple Locations, Spain
Job number: 1524714
Date posted: Mar 17, 2023
Travel: 0-25 %
Profession: Hardware Engineering
Role type: Individual Contributor
Employment type: Full-Time
Work site: Microsoft on-site only
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. Within CO&I, the Datacentre Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacentre construction and lease projects.
We are looking for a passionate, high energy senior Chartered electrical Subject Matter Expert (SME) to deliver core electrical engineering expertise to our Consultant Architectural Engineering firm (AE’s) and internal stakeholders enabling Microsoft to design and build best-in-class cloud infrastructure worldwide that powers the world’s largest online services.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
Reporting to the Data Centre MEP Director, the Principal Data Centre Design Electrical Subject Matter Expert will provide key input to other organizations and stakeholders. The role requires extensive experience in data center and HV/MV substation electrical engineering, design, construction and operations. The successful applicant provide key technical input and will manage, review and coordinate the delivery of complex data center electrical systems, power distribution systems and backup power systems.
Candidate will be responsible for managing our hired consultants making sure they engineer and design to our Microsoft standards. Candidate will also work on the technical review and analysis of the lease and colocation data center from external providers for compliance with Microsoft requirements
This position will require collaboration and management of both internal and external resources for the design, coordination and delivery of discipline-specific systems aligning with both Microsoft and site-specific requirements.
- As a Principal Electrical Subject Matter Expert (SME), the candidate provides key input to other organizations and stakeholders and is responsible for leading workgroups with representatives from Consultant AE firms, other disciplines and other key stakeholders within Microsoft. This position requires a detailed understanding of data centre electrical design, controls and operational experience. The SME will be responsible for
- Collaboration with Global Technical Excellence team, Global Strategy team and DC Operations teams to develop data centre designs from Basis of Design (BOD) to Issue For Construction (IFC) and through the Construction Administration phase of the datacentre until handover for new project build outs.
- Collaboration with internal and external customers, lead the direction of the electrical designs and oversee the delivery of multiple, concurrent, complete data centre design solutions aligned with scopes, schedule and budgets of the projects.
- Lead and direct consultants in the design and coordination of the electrical systems with other disciplines, associated power and overall electrical topology for our data center builds.
- Responsible for leading electrical workgroups with representatives from consulting firms along with key stakeholders within Microsoft.
- Manage all power system designs during the design stages, equipment procurement, bidding, manufacturing, delivery and installation on site. Identify and resolve issues raised by the construction teams and various stakeholders.
- Provide technical expertise and make design decisions related to data centre projects including new construction, expansions, retrofits, upgrades and provide input to the global standards.
- Critical assessments of designs and decisions and support in applying the required standards and country-specific regulations to make the best design choices.
- Interface closely with procurement team, the manufacturers and the global and local engineering teams to deliver the electrical solutions needed for each project.
- Responsible for specification and drawing development, detailing the sequence of operation for the electrical systems and overall drawings and specifications for our electrical topology.
- Technical review and analysis of the lease and colocation data center space from external providers for compliance with Microsoft requirements.
- Assist the Operation team for trouble shooting of electrical failures and work with operations and equipment vendors for the resolution.
Some travel to sites for “Factory Witness Testing”, consultant/vendor interaction in the design process, as well as for final commissioning of the installed systems. Duties include the technical review of electrical and controls design documents from lease providers to ensure Microsoft requirements are met.
- 5Supporting requests, liaise with customers to develop specific project design requirements, liaise and collaborate with other
- Microsoft engineering teams and Operations providing support as and when required for new and existing data centres.
- Have excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills.
Must be able to work with other technical and non-technical groups in a collaborative manner
- The ideal candidate will be a Chartered electrical engineer with expertise in data center electrical power engineering in addition to HV/MV substation design. A team player able to work in a multi-disciplined engineering team designing
- Microsoft Data Centers globally and possess the skills to work in a fast paced multi project environment. Ideal candidate is knowledgeable in power generation and transmission topologies. Having a firm understanding of the electrical distribution system design and monitoring requirements for mission critical applications, along sequence of operation requirements and monitoring of all Data Center electrical control systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or related engineering field, with experience in consulting engineering and with experience as a Principal / lead engineer.
Chartered Engineer with experience in mission critical projects with in-depth technical knowledge and understanding of mission critical environments.
- In-depth knowledge of design, operation and maintenance of electrical systems including uninterruptible power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, and automatic/static transfer switches.
- In-depth knowledge of relays, protection schemes, high-voltage distribution system, power and distribution transformers, earthing and switching.
- In depth knowledge of data centre and substation design
- Ability to manage, prioritize and successfully execute multiple concurrent mission-critical infrastructure projects.
- Ability to lead team of engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large data centre environments.
- Extensive experience and ability to work on Design & Build (D&B) and Design Bid Build (DBB) projects
- Knowledge of construction techniques and terminology including the ability to read and interpret construction drawings and documents is essential.
- Must possess strong leadership competencies and willingness to collaborate and work cross- functionally to maximize business results and positive customer experiences.
- Experience managing both internal and external vendors, with a proven ability to manage and monitor progress to ensure objectives are achieved for outsourced project efforts.
Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills at varying levels of business up to and including business executives.
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills.
- Excellent problem solving, judgement, team building and decision-making skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.