Job number: 1541960
Date posted: Apr 23, 2023
Travel: 0-25 %
Profession: Hardware Engineering
Role type: Individual Contributor
Employment type: Full-Time
Work site: Microsoft on-site only
Why Microsoft: Our love for innovation, technology and doing meaningful work, is at the heart ofeverything we do at Microsoft ANZ. It is a shared passion that inspires our team and customers to think bigger.
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be part of the team responsible for the development of Microsoft’s industry-leading datacenter designs in the APAC region.
The purpose of this role
This position is a Subject Matter Expert providing key input to other organizations and stakeholders. The successful candidate will be a professional mechanical engineer with extensive experience in datacenter mechanical engineering, design, construction, and operations. Candidate will be responsible for the technical review, analysis and coordinating the delivery of complex datacenter mechanical systems, associated controls, and overall topology.
It also requires a detailed understanding of datacenter HVAC cooling systems, cooling equipment selection, plumbing systems, fire protection systems, fuel systems and mechanical Building Automation System (BAS) controls.
- Collaborate with global and regional mechanical/BAS teams to understand and develop the datacenter (DC) mechanical designs from basis of design (BOD) to issue for constructions (IFC) for new DC project builds.
- Lead and direct consultants in the design and coordination of the mechanical systems with other disciplines, associated controls, and overall topology for our datacenter builds.
- Lead mechanical workgroups with representatives from consulting firms along with key stakeholders within Microsoft.
- Responsible for overseeing the specification and drawing development detailing all mechanical systems, and overall network topology and communication protocols required.
- closely with the procurement team, the manufacturers, and the global and local engineering teams to deliver the electrical solutions needed for each project.
- Specification and design development, detailing the sequence of operation for the mechanical systems and overall drawings and specifications for our mechanical topology.
- Assist the Operations teams with solutioning and work with Operations and equipment vendors for implementation.
- Assist partner teams to review the mechanical infrastructure upgrading scope to raise site utilization and optimize energy efficiency.
- Assist in commissioning validating performance, quality, and reliability.
The position also will require some travel to sites for “Factory Witness Testing”, equipment and engineering vendor interaction in the design process, as well as final commissioning of the installed systems. Travel to datacenter projects for engineering audits and reviews are also required.
What skills do you need to have?
There will be many opportunities for you to learn and grow into this role and Microsoft. However, to be able to best deliver on the purpose of this role, these are the core skills and experiences you should have on day one:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Professional/Chartered Engineer in Mechanical Engineering
- Proven experience in consulting engineering / construction / operation which involves design, engineering, construction, operation or maintenance of large scale, complex and sustainable mechanical systems (Datacenters, Micro Electronics are two examples of relevant industries).
- Preference is for experience working in high critical environment projects
- Good technical and practical working knowledge with respect to the understanding and applications of HVAC cooling systems, cooling equipment selection, plumbing systems, fire protection systems, fuel systems and mechanical Building Automation System (BAS) controls
- Familiarity with CFD modelling
- Sound knowledge of building codes and regulations.
- Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify technical decisions
- Ability to present using the MS office suite; MS word, MS excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and maintain high quality standards.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.#COICareers
Team Culture and Support
Microsoft believes that by investing in our people and creating an inclusive environment, our team will do their best work. See our complete list of benefits and why we are recognised as an Endorsed Employer for Women by WORK180. Microsoft Benefits | WORK180 Endorsed Employer
Our mission is deeply inclusive. See Inside Microsoft | Global Diversity and Inclusion at
Even if you feel you may not meet 100% of the criteria, please apply. You may exceed your own expectations, or we may have another opportunity that suits your potential. While we’re not able to reach out directly to every applicant, we will always do our best to help you feel heard and supported throughout the experience.
Please see our FAQs, Interview Tips and Accessibility Support
Benefits and Perks
Industry leading healthcare
Savings and investments
Maternity and paternity leave
Opportunities to network and connect
Discounts on products and services
Generous time away
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.