Position: Global Communications Manager
Location: India Hub (Delhi) (or a remote location within India is possible)
Salary: Manager level on the Global Salary Scale (dependant on final location in India)
Preferred start date: WC. 29th May 2023
Length of contract: 1 year fixed-term (sabbatical cover) with possibility of extension
Reports to: Senior Communications Manager
Expected travel: Occasional International travel
About Restless Development
Restless Development is a global non profit agency. We support the collective power of young leaders to create a better world. We are independently registered and governed in nine countries (India, Nepal, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda, UK, USA, Zambia and Zimbabwe) bound together by our vision for youth power. We run youth-led programmes to tackle the issues that young people care about the most – We also run the Youth Collective – a growing network of over 4000 local youth civil society groups and organisations in 185 countries. We are committed to creating an agency that walks the talk on power shifting, using the power shifting checklist, both internally and externally.
Our approach to safeguarding
Restless Development considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults to be an organisational imperative with primacy over the success of programmes or strategic objectives. We recognise that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and we expect all of our staff, volunteers and partners to ensure we protect the communities in which we operate from harm and abide by our Safeguarding Policy.
About the role
Restless Development is recruiting a Communications Manager to work as a core part of our small Global Communications Team, supporting and advising our 9 Global Hubs, managing our digital channels and brand resources, and helping to develop our agency Communications Strategy.
The role will focus on engaging the agency’s Global Youth Audience (currently predominantly based in Africa & Asia), working towards the Communications Team’s goal of reaching and deepening global audiences of young leaders, while strengthening civil society in hub countries.
As line manager for 2 Communications Coordinators within the team, the Manager will oversee the development and growth of the agency’s digital marketing and campaigns, and work with the Senior Communications manager to develop and implement the Digital Communications Strategy for the agency.
1. Oversight of Digital Growth and measurement of Restless Development’s Online Presence (30%)
- Improve and maintain engagement across digital communications channels and platforms
- Prioritise a test and learn approach in our digital communications, ensuring our content is optimised based on insights.
- Oversight and strengthening of the Restless Development’s digital presence (that responds to our business and strategy objectives and online user requirements).
- Lead on accessibility and analytics (oversight for the two Communications Coordinators)
- Ensure our digital approach sets out clear measures of success as part of the overall Comms Strategy
- Review new technologies, evaluate online user research, market conditions and competitors to keep our communications strategy relevant and effective
- Design and coordinate digital campaigns, initiatives and brand marketing products in line with the agency’s strategy.
- Identify and develop digital principles, practices, and processes that ensure we build the right digital products collaboratively with teams and partners
2. Management of digital global ‘youth community’ (30%)
- Oversight of digital youth engagement strategy – including blog, social media, youth power, youth collective, newsletters and other campaign opportunities.
- Support the agency’s global community of communications staff to implement a power shifting approach to communications
- Create opportunities for young people’s stories to be shared on owned and earned channels
- Support the Communications officer to grow the We Are Restless blog profile and readership
- Play a key role in developing Restless Development’s new Communications Strategy to strengthen youth power and a global community of young leaders beyond engagement metrics, to developing new youth power metrics.
- Develop and deliver against clear measures of success
- Test and learn from this new strategic approach – sharing across Restless Development and global partners
3. Global Communications content and website (25%)
- Work as a critical member of the global team to develop and deliver on a joint work plan supporting campaign initiatives and global communications priorities
- Deputise for the Senior Communications Manager
- Oversight of ‘We Lead’ communications deliverables
- Regular liaison with Youth Collective Communications Officer to offer support and guidance.
- Help coordinate global communications staff and interns – to ensure integration of our stories, social media, and youth engagement opportunities.
- Work with the Communications Coordinators to create and coordinate content for our website, youth collective and affiliated platforms
- Work with our Hubs around the world to secure content about our work for our website
- Support Communications Coordinators to manage our website hosting and troubleshoot any issues that affect our website
4. Management (15%)
- Provide day to day management and performance oversight of 2/3 global communications team members (tbc).
Skills and experience
- Experience working to deliver a digital communications strategy
- Experience coordinating digital campaigns to promote an organisation’s key products, services or campaigns
- Experience working to improve the usability, design, and conversion rates of an organisation’s website and affiliated platforms
- Experience project managing – or being part of a team managing complex global competing demands
- Experience working with and building trust and relationships with global diverse partners.
- Experience using a range of Content Management Systems
- Experience sourcing, coordinating and publishing website content and proven experience of using SEO to improve search rankings
- The ability to drive ideas and concepts to different teams
- Experience of delivering large projects in a complex, fast moving environment
- Line management experience
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability to develop and deliver an engagement strategy that works to maximise user experience.
- Experience of designing a digital communications strategy
- Editorial experience focused online
- An understanding of the digital marketing landscape
- Experience of basic development, including coding languages
- A good understanding of working in agile environments
- Knowledge of youth trends online
- Good understanding of growing online community engagement
Restless Development is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community. Restless Development will ensure that no applicant or staff member receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital status, social status, caste, race, ethnic origin, religious belief, age, HIV status, disability, or any other factor that cannot be shown to be relevant to performance.
What we do for you
We are proud to commit to a transparent global salary scale, ensuring a fair and comparable system of pay across all global locations. In addition to salary, we offer pension contributions and other benefits in accordance with the local Hub.
Values and Culture
At Restless Development, we’re proud that the strength and integrity of our Values has been recognised by staff, young people, donors and others who we work with. Beyond this, we have a culture of recognising and celebrating both our Values and our global achievements with monthly Values Champions and an annual Values Day.
It goes without saying that we work hard at Restless Development. We also recognise the importance of helping staff to maintain a positive work-life balance by offering:
- 24 days annual leave (in addition to public holidays and with an extra day of annual leave given for each full year of service, up to a maximum of 28 days).
- Birthday Leave
- Access to flexible working.
- Generous study leave, maternity, paternity or adoption leave, and other leave allowances.
Restless Development is proud to be an employer who recognises potential and invests in the development of its staff. We are committed to the professional development of our staff through:
- Empowering opportunities to work on significant projects which stretch and inspire staff – allowing them to develop on-the-job.
- Regular performance management.
- Training and development opportunities, including supporting our staff to identify mentors both within and outside of the agency.
- Quarterly Staff Workshops for all staff to give and receive agency updates, receive training, and socialise.
Travel and Medical Insurance
When travelling abroad with work, all staff will be covered by Restless Development’s travel and medical insurance.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter that provides tangible examples of how your skills, knowledge and experience will support your ability to perform the key priorities outlined in the above job description (using no more than 750 words)
To apply for this job please visit restlessdevelopment.bamboohr.com.