Job #: req21963
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 4/17/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
The International Finance Corporation (IFC) is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, the Corporation uses six decades of experience to create opportunities where they are needed most. Private sector financial development is essential to the promotion of successful and sustainable economies in low- and middle-income countries around the world. Sound and efficient financial markets can ensure that resources are allocated where they are most productive, assisting job creation and spurring economic growth.
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy, the outcome of which will be to double our volume of business by 2030 and triple the work we do in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected States (FCS). To do so, IFC will need to deploy its full range of financing, mobilization, advisory, convening and thought leadership skills. This also calls for the need to generate our own opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and opportunities for the private sector and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. This strategy also relies on a closer WBG collaboration through the “Cascade” approach: working with clients, we will first seek private sector solutions to address development challenges—where such solutions are advisable and can be effective—and reserve public financing for projects only when other options are suboptimal.
IFC is seeking to recruit a Director to lead its Global Industry Department, Energy & Mining (CEM). This department comprises three teams: Energy, Mining and Sustainable Infrastructure Advisory. It provides holistic solutions to help clients and countries harness innovations in technologies and business models to address the energy and mining needs of our member countries. It also provides Advisory Services to its key infrastructure clients to ensure a positive linkage with communities and benefit sharing, with a particular focus on gender and climate matters.
This Director will provide global knowledge and thought leadership to these sectors and product strategy, chair decision meetings for Energy & Mining investments, collaborate across the WBG on sector strategies, and manage global client relationships.
The position will be based in Washington, D.C. and will report to the Vice President, Industries. The selected candidate will be an integral part of the Leadership Teams of (i) the Industries VPU and (ii) the Infrastructure & Natural Industry sector.
• Develop CEM strategy and priorities on a global basis, with a focus on achieving sustainable developmental impact and addressing the main development challenges.
• Provide client relationship management for and grow IFC business with Global Clients.
• Curate and disseminate global expertise (sectoral trends, knowledge of projects across the world and lessons learned) to help regional teams develop business and relationships with local clients and governments, structure deals, and manage portfolio.
• Maintain IFC’s sector leadership, including through the development and incubation of new business lines in keeping with evolving trends and disruption in technology and business models.
• Exercise decision-making authority for IFC’s investment work in the energy & mining sectors, and for IFC’s advisory work in Sustainable Infrastructure (as per the ADM).
• Deploy global expertise in the Energy & Mining sectors to assist IFC in achieving strategic objectives in Creating Markets and delivering results in IDA/FCS countries.
• Help in development and roll out of new products.
• Support regional teams in managing strategic engagements with the World Bank GPs in alignment with sectoral strategies.
• Support efficient resource allocation across regions by providing swing/flex capacity for executing complex transactions, as needed, and helping in overall resource management to ensure that cross-sectoral and interregional supply/demand balances in terms of IO resources are managed smoothly.
• Lead the end-to-end origination, execution, and portfolio management for IFC’s mining business.
• Provide world-class technical specialist and market specialist support to regional teams for due diligence, processing, and portfolio management of investments.
• Create cross-cutting teams that combine sector and product (e.g., PSW) expertise, relationship with the Bank/IMF, advocacy with senior management, support in discussions with credit/risk to grow business in challenging markets.
• Integrate investment and advisory products in delivery of solutions to clients and member governments.
• Provide overall leadership and people management, in collaboration with regional colleagues, for hiring and developing IFC’s diverse talent based in Washington, DC and in the field offices.
• Act as Primary Supervisor for CEM leadership team and make decisions on HR and budget matters (including recruitments, performance management cycle, awards etc.) for the unit.
Duties and Accountabilities
• Develop and provide thought leadership for CEM strategy and priorities globally, with a focus on strategic areas such as Fragile and Conflict Affected States (FCS), IDA countries, Climate Change and Gender.
• Collaborate across the IFC and the WBG by maximizing CEM linkages in other sub-sectors as well as across regions and mobilizing product offerings from across IFC Investment, Upstream, Advisory, and Treasury functions.
• Ensure financial sustainability and development impact through delivery of high-quality new investments and advisory products across CEM sectors.
• Bring innovation to product development by working with the FIG and MAS industry groups to develop new products and solutions in CEM sectors that impact integrated value chains.
• Research and identify industry trends and new product standards following best practices with the objective of meeting client/market needs, expand/grow the IFC market share, develop impact and profitability, and support our increasingly complex business. Work with the Regional Industry Teams in all IFC’s client countries, providing knowledge, expertise, and industry and sectoral strategic insights.
• Manage, gather, and disseminate lessons of experience in the sector and contribute to IFC’s global knowledge bank.
• Proven ability to see the big picture and make decisions that align with IFC business strategy, client needs, and other stakeholders.
• Partner with other parts of the World Bank Group, as well as with global sector, regional industry, and regional teams in the implementation of the strategy for business development and links between the global and regional/country strategies.
• Nurture the relationship and grow the business with global clients
• Identify and plan the resource needs to increase efficiency and effectiveness for the Global INF department with a focus on frontier areas and high impact projects.
• Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in economics, finance/business or engineering and a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience.
• Commitment to development and a proven track record showing alignment with the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy, and values.
• Strong track record of business delivery, demonstrated investment experience, superior business judgment and established professional credibility.
• Strong technical understanding of the investment and advisory businesses, including product development, structuring, client relationship management, credit and equity skills and superior risk management.
• A track record of innovation in developing and structuring products to support investment in emerging markets.
• Demonstrated ability to lead effectively and manage a large and dispersed team in a dynamic and multicultural environment.
• Capacity to build strong client relationships that lead to results oriented and development focused partnerships.
• Proven track record of managing and motivating staff across different locations, becoming strong mentor and growing businesses, leading by example.
• Building organizational capacity through system and process improvements.
• Ability to collaborate closely with World Bank and other MFIs and financing institutions and banks.
• Ability to represent IFC externally and to develop and manage relationships with clients, government, media, donors, and other stakeholders.
• Meet World Bank Group-wide managerial competencies – Courage of your Convictions, Leading the Team for Impact, Influencing Across Boundaries, Fostering Openness to New Ideas, Building Talent for the Future.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.