Public Policy Analyst
Job Identification; 11809
Locations: Dehradun, India
Posting Date: 06/29/2023, 09:19 PM
Apply Before: 07/14/2023, 12:29 PM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: SDG Integration
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree
Other Criteria: Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of experience
Required Languages: English and Hindi
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development. Together with the Government of India and development partners, we have worked towards eradicating poverty, reducing inequalities, strengthening local governance, enhancing community resilience, protecting the environment, supporting policy initiatives and institutional reforms, and accelerating sustainable development for all.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational governments, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s new current Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
- Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems, and resilient development for reduced vulnerability
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
The Centre for Policy & Good Governance (CPPGG) Uttarakhand has been set up to assist in bringing about governance reforms through studies, training, knowledge sharing and promotion of good ideas. CPPGG is deemed to act as the think tank in the State which will help in improving the research & analytics for preparing a better planning & policy framework. The think tank is presently functioning as an autonomous body with a governing council headed by Chief Minister and Chief Secretary and has experts from various prestigious institutions as members. The institution is mandated to identify the bottlenecks in the growth trajectory of the State and firm up solutions to address the same. UNDP will support the State Government in the technical empowerment of the CPPGG, Uttarakhand by recruiting sectoral experts in mutually agreed sectors which are beneficial for the economic growth of the State and manage the policy development for fostering economic growth and inclusive development through SDGs, under the leadership and guidance of Department of Planning.
UNDP, therefore, is looking for a public policy expert to be a part of the PMU in CPPGG and work closely with relevant government departments, technical agencies, UN agencies, civil society organizations and academic institutions to provide the requisite impetus to the state government’s initiative in rolling out the SDGs and accelerating economic growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
The services of a Public Policy Analyst are required in translating the SDG vision to work towards generating awareness of SDG VISION 2030 of Uttarakhand for engagement of government departments, civil society, and subject-specific think tanks and help build necessary capacity amongst stakeholders and develop related policies. The expert is also vested with the role of organizing subject-specific policy training programs for the government department on aspects related to achieving Sustainable Development Goals. S/He will ensure the engagement of the government departments and other related stakeholders and delivery of project objectives, in coordination with the Government of Uttarakhand when needed.
Policy, Research, Analytical and Strategic Support to CPPGG:
- Develop policy initiatives for different contexts on key emerging policy agendas, in collaboration with the State government bringing in perspectives and knowledge from various state offices of UNDP.
- Conduct research and analyses and prepare analytical briefs in support of CPPGG/ UNDP strategic priorities and work plans in Uttarakhand.
- Provide substantive inputs and analyses towards the preparation and coordination of briefing notes and background materials on matters pertaining to CPPGG/ UNDP strategic priorities, work plans and working methods in close coordination with the supervisor.
- Direct and conduct policy analysis, both descriptive and econometric, using survey and census data, to inform CPPGG’s activities and improve the analytical content.
- Develop analytical tools and processes to contribute to the diagnosis and monitoring of economic and social trends in the state and their expected impact.
- Identify strategic programme areas of cooperation and key areas for capacity building and institutional strengthening and collaboration.
- Conduct data analysis, and coordinate case evidence and research findings to distil relevant lessons from projects and programmes to inform policy formulation and guidance.
- Develop relevant analysis and guidance on emerging issues of state, national and global significance and contribute to new research.
- Guide the CPPG team in applying policy and tools to crisis context to make them relevant for specific situations; and
- Conduct and maintain analytics on UNDP engagement at the field level to support strategic analyses.
Policy Advice and Programme/ Project Delivery Support:
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, supports the integration of technical advice into programmes and projects that respond to the needs of various state government departments including through the provision of capacity building.
- Apply integrated multi-disciplinary approaches to meet policy and programming needs in line with corporate guidelines and standards.
- Effective application of Results Based Management (RBM) tools, the establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
Strategic partnerships and implementation of resource mobilization strategies:
- Establish and develop networks with key state and national actors in the areas of capacity development and strengthening of institutions, social groups, etc.
- Develop an implementation plan to foster strategic partnerships between CPPG/UNDP and external partner institutions, government, private sector, academia, NGOs, and CSOs in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals and priorities of UNDP, and state government needs.
- Identify innovative approaches to leverage CPPGG’s strategic positioning and programmatic interventions in the state, drawing on UNDP’s best practices and benchmarks.
- Identify opportunities for innovative and strategic thinking and actions.
- Gather information on donors and other relevant development actors and prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation in public policy governance, capacity building and institutional strengthening.
- Collaborate in the preparation of annual reports, strategic presentations, brochures, and other communication material in the areas of governance, capacity development and institutional strengthening.
- Lead the implementation of partnerships and resource mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Advice and guidance on issues related to strengthening institutional capacities.
- Monitor and provide substantive analyses with regards to the quality assurance of CPPGG inputs and where required draft formal communications, ensuring consistency of message, current topics and rapid response to stakeholder inquiries and information requests.
Work plan coordination and implementation oversight:
- Under the guidance of the supervisor ensure coordination and following-up with colleagues on results and task-bound activities, including annual work planning, and ensure timely submission of required materials and quality assurance of said deliverables.
- Develop and implement a management tracking system and process to allow for effective management in the CPPGG work plan and key deliverables.
- Support the quality assurance of policy services and foster policy innovation in the specific thematic area by reviewing lessons learned and evaluations to enhance programme delivery.
- Coordinate the inter-unit inputs to, and the preparation of CPPGG’s work planning, budgeting, and reporting on results.
Knowledge building and management:
- Contribute to the development and review of knowledge products by analyzing and sharing lessons learnt and programme evaluation results as well as targeted interventions.
- Provide substantive support to publications and events on SDG issues or others.
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to state policy goals.
- Coordinate the development of policies and institutions that will address the state’s problems and needs in collaboration with the state government and other strategic partners.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Coordinate and perform knowledge extraction, analysis, documentation, and codification of results/lessons learned in the specific thematic area, and verify that knowledge sharing, and content management is in line with guidelines and performed using corporate tools
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Direction and Strategy
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities, linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context or responsive to a stated need
- Integration within the UN: Ability to identity and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Digital storytelling and communications: Skilled in building a narrative around a set of data and its accompanying visualizations to help convey the meaning of that data in a powerful and compelling fashion.
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Public Policy, Public Administration, Development Studies, Development Economics, or a related field of Social Sciences, or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with a bachelor’s degree with a relevant experience in policy research, policy development, and advisory services on public policy.
- Experience in leading a team or sub-offices as part of a larger organization or entity.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Creating Visibility for CPPGG & UNDP/Supporting CPPGG ’s Capacity to Advocate
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for CPPGG and UNDP’s Goals
- Supported Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda in prior experience.
- Demonstrated experience in building Strategic Partnerships with Government, Civil Society and Private Sector is desirable.
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Demonstrated experience of working with State/central government, multi-lateral organisations/UN or related agencies.
- Client Orientation
- Fluency in written and oral English and Hindi language.
Remuneration starts at INR Annual (14,35,933) / INR Monthly (1,19,661) as per the scale depending on qualifications and experience. The remuneration is excluding the 8.33% pension amount paid over and above the salary.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.