Regional Senior Programme, M&E and Health Systems Specialist
Job categories: Programme Management
Vacancy code: VA/2024/B5518/27290
Department/office: AR, ARHC, Regional Health Cluster
Duty station: Bangkok, Thailand
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract level: P5
Duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
Application period: 29-Jan-2024 to 18-Feb-2024
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Please note that UNOPS will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind.
Background information – Asia Regional Health Cluster
The Asia Regional Health Cluster (ARHC) was established in 2018 for efficient delivery of grants and fund management, and the provision of quality pharmaceuticals and health products. The ARHC aims to significantly impact the targets of UN Sustainable Development Goal 3 on good health and well-being, by expanding the population benefitting from UNOPS-managed health-related engagements across the Asia Region.
The ARHC portfolio manages the Principal Recipient (PR) Programme of the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund) in Asia. The Global Fund, which has been providing financial support to the Greater Mekong Sub-region for malaria programs since 2003, has selected UNOPS as a PR, responsible for delivering the targets set out in the grant agreements in collaboration with selected sub-recipients from the National Programmes, local and international non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and UN agencies.
Background Information – Job-specific
Under supervision of the Asia Regional Health ClusterProgramme Director, provide scientific information to support evidence-based programme development, lead the health system strengthening and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) components across the five Mekong countries. S/he is responsible for strategic coordination programme M&E, national capacity building, health systems strengthening and technical scientific information analysis. As a senior member of the Asia Regional Health Cluster Senior Management Team, s/he will assume an active role in defining programme direction and guiding programmatic adaptations to changing circumstances.
- Coordinate Programme Monitoring and Evaluation for all grants in the five Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) countries
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in development of evidence based programming, M&E Plans and frameworks.
- Lead discussions and negotiations with the donor on issues related to M&E and health systems.
- In collaboration with program partners, design data verification and data audit systems to ensure adequate donor reporting.
- Lead the teams in M&E and health systems capacity assessments.
- Review and redesign as necessary the M&E systems of the civil society organizations that are implementing activities financed under Principal Recipient – The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (PR-GFATM).
- Oversee UNOPS periodic reporting (Progress Updates) to the Global Fund and provide recommendations to improve performance.
- Provide technical leadership and supervision of the PR M&E Specialists, including the international experts in the PR in all GMS Countries.
- Build national capacity and support strategic planning activities across the five GMS countries
- Represent PR-GFATM at the Ministries of Health, Country Coordination Mechanisms, regional Steering Committee, Technical Strategic Meetings, and others as required.
- Identify and advise on potential implementation problems and bottlenecks.
- Lead teams in national capacity building activities in all GMS countries.
- Engage with the Head of Programme, national partners and NGOs in the multi-year planning process, providing substantive scientific, evidence-based, timely inputs toward the development of budgets and work-plans.
- Support national strategic planning in proposal writing for resource mobilization.
- Conduct critical analysis of risk.
- Implementation of Health Systems strengthening (HSS) components in the five GMS countries
- Coordinate the implementation of health systems activities ensuring MOHs’ and donor priorities are met.
- Lead advisor and team leader on health systems strengthening across the GMS.
- Technical lead providing input toward the design of a health management information systems (HMIS).
- Manage knowledge and information dissemination throughout the GMS countries, keeping UNOPS PR and its key partners abreast of important developments.
- Lead on Development of a library of relevant international scientific evidence and best practices
- Lead the PR participation in all technical reviews and evaluations in the GMS countries.
- Manage knowledge and information dissemination and storage of relevant scientific evidence, best practices and lessons learnt to inform programme development.
- Master’s Degree preferably in Public Health, Health Economics, Health Sciences, Medicine, Epidemiology, Statistics or in a similar discipline.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in the same areas with 12 years of relevant experience is considered as equivalent.
- At least 10 years of health sector experience
- 7 years of progressive experience in health programme M&E is required.
- Prior experience working with donors/ multi-donor funds is required.
- Experience working in local governance including but not limited to formal local government structures, local and community based NGOs, traditional governance systems, and informal networks is desirable.
- Experience in South East Asia region is preferred.
- Sound knowledge of the UN and regulations and rules is an asset.
- Ability and willingness to travel is necessary.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Understanding of other UN and/or local languages is an advantage.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: staff
Contract level: P5
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unops.org.