SDG Project Analyst
Job Identification: 10851
Locations: Lucknow, India
Posting Date: 05/24/2023, 08:15 AM
Apply Before: 06/08/2023, 12:14 AM
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: SDG Integration
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree
Other Criteria: Bachelor’s Degree with 2 years of experience
Required Languages: English
Desired Languages: Knowledge of local language
Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development. Together with the Government of India and development partners, we have worked towards eradicating poverty, reducing inequalities, strengthening local governance, enhancing community resilience, protecting the environment, supporting policy initiatives and institutional reforms, and accelerating sustainable development for all.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
Our new Country Programme (2023-2027), which comes into effect in 2023, builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated approach to development solutions in three strategic portfolios:
- Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized.
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability
South-South cooperation, gender equality and social inclusion are promoted across the pillars. The programme is supported by a framework of renewed partnerships and blended finance solutions, strategic innovation and accelerator labs, and data and digital architecture.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
The success of SDGs in Uttar Pradesh has direct link to the localization of the goals due to the vast geographic and demographic specialty of the State. There is a need for a strengthening data collection, coordination, reporting and validation of statistics on the SDGs under the Department of Planning. The Department of Planning is the nodal agency for coordinating and fast-tracking of SDGs in the State. The Department has finalized its State Indicator Framework (SIF) and District Indicator Framework (DIF) in accordance with the National Indicator Framework and has adopted them as per the needs of the state. There is a need to strengthen capacities to report on these indicator frameworks as well as coordinate between various departments/districts to provide accurate data to support the monitoring and measurement of progress of SDGs in the state.
UNDP has been playing the role of SDG integrator and provided support to the NITI Aayog and states of Uttarakhand, Punjab, Haryana, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Nagaland for SDG implementation and localization through SDG Coordination Centers. UNDP is proposing to set up an SDG Cell in Uttar Pradesh to provide technical support to the Planning Departments, build awareness and capacity of all stakeholders around SDG 2030 Vision of Uttar Pradesh, encourage data update at district and divisional level, and fast-track the achievement of the SDGs. The SDG cell will adopt following strategies to support the implementation and localization of SDG in the state:
- Dividing Uttar Pradesh in 5 zones for monitoring and coordination purpose regarding SDG implementation and localization
- Baseline study on awareness and understanding regarding SDG, NIF, SIF & DIF at the district level and creation of 75 district SDG vision report.
- Creating of District SDG Monitoring Committee chaired by District Magistrate in each district supported by planning department staff available in the district.
- Creation of Information, Education and Communication products and messages and its dissemination through institutional mechanism in each Gram Panchayat, Urban Local Bodies, and district level staff
- Follow up with each department nodal officer for clearing the backlog of data entry in SDG dashboard portal.
- Capacity Building of department nodal officers at state level, nodal staff for each goal and department at district level staff on SDG, NIF, SIF & DI
UNDP proposes to engage an SDG Project Analyst to support the SDG Cell at Uttar Pradesh in its efforts to enhance development effectiveness by improving systems, tools and mechanisms for policy and strategy planning, reporting, monitoring, analysis, and evaluation. The SDG Project Analyst will work under the overall guidance and supervision of Policy Specialist, SDG Acceleration Unit, UNDP India and in close collaboration with the UNDP Programme Officer and Project Team members and day to day supervision on the implementation issues with the Government of Uttar Pradesh. S/He will ensure engagement of all direct stakeholders and delivery of project objectives, in coordination with the Government of Uttar Pradesh when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordination with nodal departments at state level for fast-tracking SDGs
- Capacity building on SDG for all administrative secretaries and head of departments
- Capacity building on SDG for Civil Secretariat Staff and nodal officers/other stakeholders
- Support the process of integrating the SDG localization for baseline assessment agency and monitor its output.
- Coordinate the drafting of SDG vision document for each district.
- Support in drafting of Annual report on SDG implementation and reform actions
Any other task assigned by supervisor related to SDGs.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
- Evaluation: Ability to make an independent judgement based on set criteria and benchmarks -Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concern
Programme and Policy
- SDG Integration: SDG monitoring and reporting
External Relations and Advocacy
- Event Planning & Execution: Ability to plan, manage and execute of public and private events to ensure that they support and amplify individual communications and advocacy initiatives, as well as UNDP’s overall brand and mandate.
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society, and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business administration, economics, public administration, public policy, international development
- At least two years of relevant experience in SDG with related national and international agency experience with bachelor’s degree
- Hands-on management skills and proven team coordination experience along with experience in leading office or sub-offices as part of a larger organization or entity.
- Must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data).
- Experience on project management, good computer knowledge and Proficiency of MS Office.
- Strong policy analytical skills that can be appliedto the development and application of methods and toolsfor SDGs.
- Skills and knowledge to build linkages between SDGs and with the state priorities.
- Ability to advise on problems carefully and logically, leading to fact-based and practical recommendations.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is essential.
- Knowledge of local language is desirable.
Remuneration starting at INR14,35,933 (Annual) / INR 1,19,661 (Monthly) as per the scale depending on qualifications and experience. The remuneration is excluding 8.33% pension amount paid over and above the salary.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.