Senior Business Manager
Redmond, Washington, United States
Date posted: Sep 12, 2023
Job number: 1621841
Work site: Up to 50% work from home
Travel: 0-25 %
Role type: Individual Contributor
Profession: Business Operations
Discipline: Business Management
Employment type: Full-Time
The Xbox Publishing Team responsible for Contraband, As Dusk Falls, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Ori, and the Will of the Wisps, and Tell Me Why is looking for a Senior Business Manager to help us drive new entertainment franchises with some of the best partners from around the globe. Join the team driving world-class game development that sets the standard for entertainment across a growing family of devices including Xbox and Windows 10.
As a Senior Business Manager, you will join our Centralized Business Team where we oversee more than a dozen games with internal dedicated teams and managing world-class development partners within a wide range of genres and models. You will partner with our Chief of Staff to ensure they and our General Manager are empowered to make key strategic decisions for the success of the studio. There will be a need to create and optimize business strategies and tactics that focus on acquiring and retaining players and achieving profitability in our games. You will be responsible for evolving sustainable business models for our games as well as post sale monetization strategy with the goal of growing active users and achieving predictable revenue across all platforms within the Xbox Live ecosystem.
You can look forward to close collaboration with our development partners, internal Xbox Production teams, our Marketing and Communication teams, and our Finance team throughout the development, launch and post-launch of our games, as well as establishing, maintaining, and evolving our game Profits & Losses and Performance Marketing plans.
- Supports the Publishing Chief of Staff in monitoring the team/organization health and partnering on projects to give visibility on studio performance to our Leadership Team and above. Owns quarterly Quarterly Business Review deck, working with the other Business Managers to complete status of projects in development for executive review.
- Create, manage, and optimize the business plan for one or more game projects, developing business model and strategy to drive acquisition, retention, and monetization while maintaining a healthy community.
- Establish goals and Key Performance Indicators to measure player base health and business performance. Monitor and escalate potential issues and share performance data with relevant partners.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the sources of revenue and costs that make up the business plan for a game to enable creation of various models and scenarios to help leadership chart a profitable path forward.
- Provide consolidated reporting & analysis around business plans and scenario modeling, as well as ensuring alignment with organizational long-range plans, budget/forecast, contract management and other financial deliverables.
- Help our teams develop a deep understanding of our player bases and businesses to deliver actionable insights backed by both quantitative and qualitative data. Specifically, make certain that each of our teams is providing continual visibility and business insight into game title performance with data analysis and modeling to accurately project engagement targets, revenue performance and expenses.
- Collaborate with Xbox Gaming Studios Publishing Production Teams and Development Partners on business-related feature roadmaps and planning.
- Partner with Xbox 1P Marketing to help create and execute a Go to Market plan with the aim of achieving our business goals.
- Partner closely with finance to ensure we are meeting operating expense, revenue, and gross margin targets.
- Drive post-launch, game-focused monetization features based on quantitative performance while staying aligned with the game’s qualitative goals.
- Collaborate with Xbox Services such as Game Pass to create unique value for our players within our industry-leading platforms.
- Increase the repeatability of our successes by sharing best practices and lessons learned with other game teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 4+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related roles
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience utilizing key performance metrics/analytics to drive video game performance
- 1+ year(s) of experience presenting complex financial and operational data to specific audiences, ranging from studio teams across multiple disciplines, up to executive leadership.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 6+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related roles
- OR Master’s Degree in relevant field (e.g., Liberal Arts, Business Administration, Management, Computer Science) AND 3+ years experience in financial management, business planning, operations management, strategy, project management, human resources, or business-related role
- OR equivalent experience.
Business Management IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $91,800 – $178,800 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $117,900 – $195,000 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Industry leading healthcare
Discounts on products and services
Savings and investments
Maternity and paternity leave
Generous time away
Opportunities to network and connect
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran or military status, race, ethnicity, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application process, read more about requesting accommodations.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.careers.microsoft.com.