International Labour Organization
Vacancy no.: BEY/DC/2023/12
Publication date: 22 March 2023
Application deadline (midnight local time): 05 April 2023
Job ID: 10567
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year with possibility of extension
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment and eligibility criteria.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 62168 (USD) yearly.
Lebanon continues to face a serious and increasingly challenging employment and labour market situation. The multiple crisis endured by Lebanon have worsened already fragile socio-economic conditions, resulting in heightened levels of vulnerability, poverty and informality and social tensions. This disproportionately affects marginalized groups including refugees but also increasingly the host communities.
The country has weak labour market institutions, coupled with a deficient demand for labour and low levels of job creation, particularly in high productivity/ high value‐added sectors. This has long contributed to weak employment outcomes in Lebanon, including high rates of unemployment, especially among youth and women, low employment‐to‐population ratios and high levels of informality. Other structural challenges, such as skills mismatch, and a highly deficient social protection system that does not facilitate the transition from social assistance to decent employment opportunities have also hindered progress towards full and productive employment in the country, with the skills provided by training and education institutions not adequately and fully responding to the labour market needs.
Refugees and host communities have become increasingly subject to poor living and working conditions, requiring further support through urgent and well‐targeted measures
The incumbent of the position will carry out full-time tasks under the direct supervision and guidance of the EU resilience project Chief Technical Advisor to whom s/he will report directly on progress and delivery of results. The incumbent will work also in close collaboration with EIIP Engineers, the other members of the resilience team and the skills specialist.
Description of Duties
The National Project Officer – Skills and Employment will undertake the following tasks:
1. Design and implement activities linked to employment promotion, skills assessment studies, profiling of social protection beneficiaries to enable them to join labour market, identifying consultants and implementing partners, technical guidance on implementation of training to beneficiaries, training of trainers, tracer studies etc.
2. Monitor the progress of relevant activities by reviewing, verifying, and analysing workplans, progress reports, final reports and other data for clarity, consistency and completeness. Coordinate the reporting and evaluation of work such as reporting on results on a periodic basis.
3. Provide coordinated technical and organizational support in the field of (a) training and certification in market relevant occupations of the identified sectors, (b) post training support, including career guidance to ensure integration in the labour market. Collaborate with DTVET for the implementation of training certifications.
4. Assist the CTA in designing intervention and monitoring the resources of skills and job promotion development components, prepare budget estimates and expenditure forecasts in relation to planned activities and making recommendations for remedial action. Identify potential problems, propose solutions and actions.
5. Ensure the coordination of socio-professional inclusion and social protection activities and on the job placement of trainees. Coordinate training activities of the partner TVET centres and l onsite trainings.
6. Supervise: i) beneficiary selection for onsite training component under infrastructure construction ii) developing/selection of curricula for the targeted job profiles iii) implementation of the Work Based Learning in coordination with the managers, trainers and tutors from the TVET centers and designated for this activity.
University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in a field relevant to the job.
At least two years of project implementation experience and in working effectively with governing bodies and development partners. Proven experience in working on skills and job promotion development.
Excellent knowledge of English and good knowledge of Arabic.
In addition to the ILO core competencies (Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration), this position requires:
- Good knowledge of skills and entrepreneurship development context in Lebanon.
- Good knowledge of project management cycle.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to justify requirements and approaches to problem resolution and good drafting skills.
- Good ability to interpret project information and to identify and analyse problems with implementation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to clarify information.
- Demonstrate collaborative and team work experience and ability to work effectively with a multicultural and interdisciplinary team as well as work on his/her own initiative.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Words, Power Point, Excel, web-browsers and database applications.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.ilo.org.