Job number: 1540220
Date posted: Apr 13, 2023
Travel: 0-25 %
Profession: Supply Chain
Role type: Individual Contributor
Employment type: Full-Time
Work site: Up to 50% work from home
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO+I) is the team behind the cloud. We are responsible for delivering over 200 Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
Within CO+I, the Supply Chain team is responsible for establishing a supply chain that can meet the ever-growing growth of the Cloud and our customers. We support a portfolio of complex, multi-disciplinary, multi-billion, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. Furthermore, we support the Operations team that manages and runs the cloud assets. We are looking to fill the critical role of Supply Chain Execution Manager (SEA)
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.
- Creates, maintains, and executes on procurement contracting strategies for multiple complex data center construction projects and/or purchasing opportunities to ensure optimal cost and sufficient continuity of supply and services.
- Drives benchmarking and alignment across Microsoft. Works across functionally with senior stakeholders and consults with other industry experts to inform strategy with a global view. Leverages end-to-end sourcing and procurement expertise and benchmark data to identify, revise, and influence the definition of business requirements, manage conflicting priorities and tradeoffs, and resolve escalations to execute on contracting strategies and solutions.
- Integrates business specifications and contracting strategies for several complex purchasing areas into request for information (RFI) and/or request for proposal (RFP) processes. Collaborates cross-functionally to define and manage supplier scorecard criteria (e.g., key performance indicators [KPIs], Service Level Agreements [SLAs]), coordinates supplier performance/recovery reviews, and drives corrective actions.
- Actively partners with strategic sourcing and suppliers to identify and drive continuous improvement and risk management opportunities by evaluating procedural, operational, and/or environmental factors, analyzing root causes of issues, sharing insights with key stakeholders, and influencing the adoption of needed improvements.
- Applies an end-to-end understanding of procurement processes and policies, and the tradeoffs between Microsoft and key suppliers to drive business impact by applying market intelligence to define, develop, and influence the adoption of channel strategies cross-functionally and/or cross-regionally that enable scalable execution with consistency, accuracy, quality, and timeliness of delivery. Leads decision making around the execution and evolution of various workstream processes, identifies and seeks solutions to compliance areas/gaps, and influences leadership to drive change internally and/or externally.
- Ensures adherence to policy, educates stakeholders and suppliers on policy compliance, and drives the remediation and resolution of sourcing issues. Influences current and future policy direction as needed to mitigate risks across business units and enable suppliers to meet business requirements.
- Collaborates with senior Procurement stakeholders to ensure awareness of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and/or defined milestones and deliverables, and to drive timeliness, accuracy, quality, and consistency across supply chain requests. Serves as subject matter expert on the SLA, milestones, and/or deliverables, and manages any escalations related to policy non-compliance. Leverages data to anticipate and mitigate risk and negative business impacts by ensuring compliance with agreed-upon terms, communicating delay potential to stakeholders, and driving the execution of contingency plans cross-functionally and/or cross-regionally as needed.
Procurements and Contracts
- Leads contract and price negotiation activities for several complex purchasing categories cross-functionally and ensures that price, capacity, and strategic business needs are met, while also reflecting Microsoft’s cross-functional engagements with suppliers. Anticipates negotiation setbacks, proactively drives action to mitigate contract disagreements, and coaches others on negotiation best practices across internal sourcing teams.
- Processes or supports stakeholder procurement requests for complex purchasing categories via engagement and/or leveraging workflow process or technology, where applicable in support of product and service requirements. Manages the resolution of escalated pricing issues raised.
- Executes contracts and complies with established control processes to ensure delivery and execution on contracts in alignment with business requirements.
Serves as a primary point of contact for identifies risks and roadblocks to contract execution and drives action internally and/or externally to resolve and/or escalate, as appropriate.
- Monitors and mitigates the impact of change orders to the underlying business case, and partners cross-functionally to adjust impact models.
- Drives early business engagements for complex business areas or purchasing categories with cross-functional leadership including planning, strategic sourcing, cost, engineering, quality, construction, project managers, to define and drive action on supply solutions and strategies, business requirements, optimal sourcing on spend/budget and align on priorities.
- Facilitates industry and ecosystem engagements, and provides expert consultation with leadership teams on sourcing decisions and optimizations that can be deployed at scale.
- Manages supplier activity and progress across multiple accounts and complex purchasing categories, developing and executing supplier account plans detailing mutual priorities and focus for the supplier relationship for the upcoming period. Trains external stakeholders during onboarding, and identifies engagement programs to improve supplier performance to achieve business goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Management, Supply Chain or related field and 10+ years experience in Project Management, Supply Chain, and Operations
- Extensive experience in sourcing, procurement and contract execution management on large complex Construction and Capital Projects is an essential requirement for this role.
- Strong commercial understanding and experience negotiation with General Civil Contractor/ Trade Contractor and similar.
- Knowledge of data center industry preferable, and / or mission critical experience and experience managing a variety of project delivery methods – ability to collaborate with a project team in defining risk and developing the appropriate contracting and compensation approaches.
- Knowledge of all or at least two of the following industry template and standards are preferred:
- FIDIC (Fédération Internationale Des Ingénieurs-Conseils) contract forms
- AIA (The American Institute of Architects) contract forms
- CSI (Construction Specification Institute)
- AACEI (Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering)
- SCEA (Society of Cost Estimating and Analysis)
- RICS (The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)
- Can create clarity, generate energy, and deliver success; always be planning for the future.
- Have high integrity – must be ethical and strong value-based individual focused on fairness and maintaining confidentiality.
- Bring high energy – a drive to achieve results in midst of ambiguity and a matrix organization.
- Be a high performer – be able to fit the Microsoft “culture” by effectively multi-tasking and managing priorities; have a “sense of urgency” regarding issue resolution.
- Understand the importance of relationships inside the company and with our supply chain partners.
- Be able to travel from 0 – 25%, generally within APAC region.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years thereafter.
These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
Industry leading healthcare
Savings and investments
Maternity and paternity leave
Opportunities to network and connect
Discounts on products and services
Generous time away
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.