Technical Analyst – Public Private Partnerships
Job Identification: 11874
Locations: Belgrade, Serbia
Posting Date: 07/04/2023, 08:51 AM
Apply Before: 07/25/2023, 09:59 PM
Degree Level: Advanced/Postgraduate Degree
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area: Governance
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Europe and the CIS
Contract Duration: 1 Year
Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages: English and Serbian
Vacancy Timeline: 3 Weeks
Mobility required/no mobility: no mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been actively supporting public administration reform and public financial management reform since 2000. Activities have expanded and intensified over the years as UNDP’s relationship with the institutions established after the first democratic elections in Serbia has been strengthened, coupled with the need to modernize public sector management, and ensure a fully functional and accountable public finance management system based on the highest international standards and, since 2014, EU accession requirements.
UNDP Serbia has been supporting the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Serbia since 2013 in capacity building for effective coordination and management, economic reforms, accession negotiations, and meeting the economic and political criteria for European Union (EU) membership. The implementation of the project “Support to Strengthen Technical Capacity and Institutional Development of the Ministry of Finance and Coordination in the Field of Economic Governance” started in 2018. In order to meet the economic and political criteria for EU membership and to create a stable economic and monetary environment, the Republic of Serbia needs to further strengthen the administrative capacity and stability of its institutions. The main project activities focus on providing capacity building support and analysis of the current economic environment, as well as supporting the implementation of the fiscal risk management strategy and methodology by monitoring fiscal risks, with a particular focus on risks arising from the activities of state-owned enterprises.
The lack of systematic monitoring of fiscal risks in recent years has led to difficulties in resource planning and poses the risk of unexpected budgetary expenditures that distort the use of resources and lead to suboptimal spending with compromised outcomes and goals. In addition, some explicit and implicit contingent liabilities have emerged in recent years. These include bailouts of state-owned enterprises and commercial banks or disbursements following floods. In response to these challenges, the Ministry of Finance (MoF) and the Ministry of Economy (MoE) have introduced a monitoring system for SOEs, financial institutions, local self-government enterprises, and public-private partnerships (PPPs). In the current economic environment, the risks posed by deteriorating balance sheets SOE and the deterioration of the financial sector will exacerbate the impact on the fiscal outlook.
Serbia is a leader in the region in the use of the PPP model due to Serbia’s current economic orientation and the recognition that we live in a time of enormous challenges financially and economically, but also in terms of preserving human health and the environment.
The right combination of public and private sectors, especially in a PPP model, creates added value for both public and private partners by reducing public expenditures, providing transparent profits to private partners, increasing the quality of public services, preserving the environment and, most importantly, satisfying end users. Practice has shown that the PPP model requires constant development, and the legal and procedural framework must meet these challenges.
In view of this, the Ministry of Finance has started implementing the measures foreseen in the relevant policy documents, such as the fiscal risk monitoring methodology, and needs external support for their implementation. Considering this, UNDP is seeking for a Technical Analyst on Public Private Partnerships to support the implementation of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide expert advice to the management of the fiscal risks department of the Ministry of finance in fiscal risks methodology implementation, especially for the risks arising from PPP;
- Provide financial advice to the Ministry of Finance, Fiscal Risks Monitoring Department, in the process of implementation and revising the regulatory documentation in relation to the PPP;
- Provide financial advisory to the Ministry of Finance, and its relevant institutions, in drafting and implementation of relevant bylaws in line with changes to the PPP legal framework;
- Provide support in negotiations with commercial banks and international financial institutions in relation to PPP deal structuring;
- Provide expert advice in facilitating public hearing and consultations on all regulatory and strategic recommendations in respect to the risks arising from PPP;
- To maintain good cooperation and coordination between national counterparts, project partners, relevant stakeholders and actively participate in / coordinate meetings, training sessions, conferences and public promotion of projects.
The Technical Analyst – Public Private Partnerships will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Technical Advisor for Strategic Framework – Delivery Unit Coordinator.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-functional and Technical Competencies
- Business Direction & Strategy – Strategic Thinking
- Ability to develop effective strategies and priority plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- Business Direction & Strategy – System Thinking
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Business Development – Knowledge Generation
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Business Management – Results-based Management
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Finance – Finance business partnering
- Able to support business units and add value by innovating and providing solutions to financial issues/queries, including through FAQs, financial tools, advisory, etc. Influences and appropriately challenges non-finance colleagues for whom the service is being provided. Understands the operations, opportunities and challenges of the organization. Holds a commercial outlook, demonstrating accountability towards organizational goals.
- 2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness – Strategic Policy Engagement
- Economic forecasting
- Ethics – Ethical Implications of Policy Development
- Consult on the ethical implications within all policy development and standard setting.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in finance, economics, or related field.
A first-level university degree (Bachelor`s degree) with additional 2 years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master`s degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Master´s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of progressively responsible work experience in public investment and/or investment business.
- Experience in strategic investment, advisory and financial management is an asset.
- Experience in audit, advisory and financial management is an asset.
- Experience in relations with international financial institutions is an asset.
- Experience in working in Serbia’s political, institutional, and socio-economic situation is an asset.
- Experience in the national institutional, legal and/or investment framework and policy implementation processes is an asset.
- Experience in establishing competitive business environment is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English is required.
- Ability to deliver results when working under pressure and within changing circumstances.
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and team building skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Client oriented: establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them with appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment in order to keep them informed and to anticipate problems; keeps clients informed on regular basis of progress or setbacks in projects.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ethical standards.
- Focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to critical feedback.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Treats all people fairly without prejudice regardless of cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
The position is Belgrade based. Official travels might be requested to perform the functions.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
As this position is under National Personnel Services Agreement (NPSA) modality, only applicants with Serbian nationality or valid working permit in Serbia will be considered for the vacancy. The selected candidate will be subject to a Government security check prior to signature of contract.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply for this job please visit estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com.